Question RAM still stuck at 2133MHz desipte setting XMP profile

Jul 26, 2019
Hello, after noticing on HWin that my Current System Memory Clock is an abysmal 1064.3MHz (I believe you double this to get roughly 2133MHz which is the default frequency of the RAM I'm using) I have tried to apply an XMP 2 profile. I've checked to make sure that the settings changed and that the timings are correct to achieve the advertised 3000MHz but so far there is no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are my specs:

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2D3000C16
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Radeon RX Vega 56
Mobo: ASRock B450m Pro4-f
PSU: Corsair VS650
BIOS is updated to latest version 1.5

EDIT: After playing around with it for a while I noticed that even though my BIOS timings 16 20 20 38 HWin repots that they are still at 15 15 15 36. Is this a possible bug with the BIOS?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019
enable DOCP in BIOS so that the XMP get's translated for Zen because Zen doesn't work with XMP by default.

Just be aware that you will most likely only get it to run at 2933MHz not 3000MHz exactly.
Hello, I've looked through all the settings in my ASRock BIOS but I can't seem to find anything to do with DOCD. Wouldn't it just be presumed that if you're using XMP on an AMD based motherboard you will need DOCD?

Jul 26, 2019
Make sure the memory is in the correct slots or AXMP won't work, it's usually A2/B2 (slots 2/4).

Side note, you may not want to use that GPU with that PSU or at the very least undervolt the GPU.
Yeah I've checked that already with my motherboard manual. They are in A2 and B2. Also about undervolting, do you recommend that because of overheating issues? I've heard a bit about it but I'm not sure why its necessary.

WildCard999

Titan
Yeah I've checked that already with my motherboard manual. They are in A2 and B2. Also about undervolting, do you recommend that because of overheating issues? I've heard a bit about it but I'm not sure why its necessary.
Heat is part of it but it's the PSU, the Corsair VS series are pretty low quality and not really something I'd put into a gaming system.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if the XMP 2 profile isn't taking, and there doesn't seem to be any DOCP option, then check to see if there's an update to your BIOS.
After updating the BIOS if update is available, try again.

If already on the latest BIOS, you can try to manually assign the overclocks to the RAM by putting in the speed and timings listed on the sticker on your RAM sticks.

If that doesn't work, then a CMOS reset is in order to try and fix any issues.

And if CMOS reset doesn't work, then I honestly don't think I'll be able to help any further.

Jul 26, 2019
Hello everyone, I think I have finally found the solution. After trying everyone's suggestions with no luck, I finally realised that the problem was not with my RAM but with my motherboard's RAM slot. When I have only one RAM stick in at a time, the RAM works at the correct speed of 3000MHz but as soon as I put the other stick in, it fails to boot 3 times (the lights and fans turn on and off again) and the speed drops back down to 2133MHz and also windows says it is reserving the extra 8GB of RAM for hardware. I haven't tested the new motherboard yet but I'm hoping this will fix my problem and the constant black screens I've been getting.

TRENDING THREADS