Question Ram Stuck at 1667MHZ Dual Channel.

Aug 22, 2019
PC SPECS :
Ryzen 9 3900X (3.8Ghz)
16GB (2x8), Dual Channel, HyperX Predator 3333Mhz
ASUS Rog Strix X470-F Gaming (Updated Bios to 5204 for 3rd gen AMD Processors)
EVGA GTX 1050 TI 4GB (Will be upgraded to RTX 2080 TI FE in 3 weeks)

Hello, like the title says I have a problem with my RAM, it is constantly stuck at 1667Mhz even while gaming, In the Bios I have also selected the memory clock to be at 3333Mhz, however this still didn't change anything, Does anyone have experience with this problem or I am a total idiot and this is totaly normal ??

Aug 22, 2019
I think your RAM is OK, you have to double the reported speed in tools like CPU-Z so 1667x2 ~ 3333! Please post a screenshot from CPU-Z so we can check. cheers
Sorry, I can't seem to be able to upload an image whatever i do, however, this is the outcome I got while looking at the Memory tab :
TYPE : DDR4
Channels : Dual
Size : 16 Gbytes
DC Mode : Nil
NB Frequency : 1663.3Mhz
Dram Frequency : 1663.3 Mhz
FSB : RAM - 3:50

From what I know, if everything was working correctly, The NB Frequency should be double the 1663.3Mhz, I Have also checked Compatible DRAM's with the Rog Strix X470-F Mobo, and the HyperX Predator 16Gb In Dual Channel is only supported at 3200Mhz, should I maybe change the settings in the Bios and see if this fixes it ??

Nope. The "Northbridge Frequency" displayed by CPU-Z is the frequency of the memory controller itself and should operate at the same speed as the memory or lower. As it is also "DDR," the effective speed is also doubled, but it is showing you the actual speed.

I do see there are ridiculously high northbridge speeds for Intel though.

Reactions: ConanLock
its all fine
its DDR (double data rate) which means 1666MHZ will run at twice bandwith of SDR (single data rate)
u can run some memory benchmarks (aida64?) too see how fast your ram currently runs
1666MHz SDR = 13.3GB bandwith
1666MHz DDR = 26.6GB ...
in single channel
dual channel 1666MHZ would be 53.2GB bandwith (maximum theoretical), actual bandwith will depend on your CPU and ram timings

as for sticks sold as 3200MHz or so...its not real speed...just marketing trick

GPUs are even worse in that...6GHZ GDDR5 is actually just 1.5GHz real spead
as it is 1.5GHz modules running in DDR but on two signals (pretty much quad data rate)