[SOLVED] RAM underperforming?

bthizle1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
I have 3 sticks of Corsair 3200mhz RAM CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
I had to manually set the clock in the BIOS to 3200 otherwise it was auto clocking it at 2000 or so.

One of the issues is that it seems to be under performing. The latency is listed as 22 (as you can see in these images) while the RAM is rated at 16.
(can check out RAM specs here https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...GB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3200C16#tab-tech-specs0

Should I change any other settings in the BIOS?

Despite having 3 sticks I believe it is running in flex mode, but am not 100% certain. I have a 4th stick, however my CPU cooler is in the way. I don't believe there is any benefit to having 4 (no quad channel for this CPU/MOBO right?) aside from just having more RAM itself.

Specs can be seen in these photos (HWINFO and CPU-Z:
https://ibb.co/gDYXkhT

Solution
(You can skip to Edit)

Apologies it's an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F MOBO. And I tried to change the CAS (latency I believe) to 16 as is advertised on these RAM sepcs and enable overclocking, then it wouldn't post. So I had to reset the CMOS a short the two pins. After that I'm somewhat worried to mess around with the RAM timings again...

All of my specs are listed in those two images in first post.

I'm trying to see what correlates to the sudden FPS drop that happens in games and so far I can't really see anything in particular. The only thing is it looks like frametime associated with the CPU drops and FPS drops heavily quickly. CPU ms whatever exactly that is. I can only see this metric in assasins creed odyssey, MSI and hwinfo I...
I have 3 sticks of Corsair 3200mhz RAM CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
I had to manually set the clock in the BIOS to 3200 otherwise it was auto clocking it at 2000 or so.

One of the issues is that it seems to be under performing. The latency is listed as 22 (as you can see in these images) while the RAM is rated at 16.
(can check out RAM specs here https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...GB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3200C16#tab-tech-specs0

Should I change any other settings in the BIOS?

Despite having 3 sticks I believe it is running in flex mode, but am not 100% certain. I have a 4th stick, however my CPU cooler is in the way. I don't believe there is any benefit to having 4 (no quad channel for this CPU/MOBO right?) aside from just having more RAM itself.

Specs can be seen in these photos (HWINFO and CPU-Z:
https://ibb.co/gDYXkhT
2133 is usual base speed for DDR4, ThatRAM should have 2 XMP settings, 2400 and 3200MHz. What happens when you turn DOCP on and set one of those 2 XMPs ?
Can you set Cl manually ?

bthizle1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
2133 is usual base speed for DDR4, ThatRAM should have 2 XMP settings, 2400 and 3200MHz. What happens when you turn DOCP on and set one of those 2 XMPs ?
Can you set Cl manually ?

The MOBO UI is interesting on this MSI board. I couldn't really find XMP anywhere in the BIOS. Just manually set the clocks to 3200MHz and left voltage at auto (the only "options" I could really find regarding RAM). I will look again today to make sure I didn't overlook anything. Don't believe I can set Cl manually but will also make certain.

Could anything having to do with the RAM cause the CPU to have spikes in timing. I see the occasional large spike in CPU ms in games that drops FPS quickly. Also is there anything as is right now that should cause Stuttering, regarding the info provided.

The MOBO UI is interesting on this MSI board. I couldn't really find XMP anywhere in the BIOS. Just manually set the clocks to 3200MHz and left voltage at auto (the only "options" I could really find regarding RAM). I will look again today to make sure I didn't overlook anything. Don't believe I can set Cl manually but will also make certain.

Could anything having to do with the RAM cause the CPU to have spikes in timing. I see the occasional large spike in CPU ms in games that drops FPS quickly. Also is there anything as is right now that should cause Stuttering, regarding the info provided.
I think that MSI calls it A-XMP, Asus for instance calls it DOCP.
What are your full specs ?

bthizle1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
I think that MSI calls it A-XMP, Asus for instance calls it DOCP.
What are your full specs ?

(You can skip to Edit)

Apologies it's an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F MOBO. And I tried to change the CAS (latency I believe) to 16 as is advertised on these RAM sepcs and enable overclocking, then it wouldn't post. So I had to reset the CMOS a short the two pins. After that I'm somewhat worried to mess around with the RAM timings again...

I'm trying to see what correlates to the sudden FPS drop that happens in games and so far I can't really see anything in particular. The only thing is it looks like frametime associated with the CPU drops and FPS drops heavily quickly. CPU ms whatever exactly that is. I can only see this metric in assasins creed odyssey, MSI and hwinfo I cannot find it.

Would it be better for me to have all 4 sticks of RAM in instead of 3? It should be running in flex anyhow, so aside from just extra RAM I cannot imagine it'd change things.

Also, many thanks for your help mate.

EDIT:

I managed to change the DOCP, which enabled XMP-2 and clocked to 3200 MHz with correct timings. Still having the issue of Frametime spikes and large FPS drops. No idea where that's coming from. I've had these with literally 4 different rigs with entirely different hardware. Could it be something to do with the outlet? I've checked with multimeter, proper voltage and grounded...no idea.

Last edited:
(You can skip to Edit)

I'm trying to see what correlates to the sudden FPS drop that happens in games and so far I can't really see anything in particular. The only thing is it looks like frametime associated with the CPU drops and FPS drops heavily quickly. CPU ms whatever exactly that is. I can only see this metric in assasins creed odyssey, MSI and hwinfo I cannot find it.

Would it be better for me to have all 4 sticks of RAM in instead of 3? It should be running in flex anyhow, so aside from just extra RAM I cannot imagine it'd change things.

Also, many thanks for your help mate.

EDIT:

I managed to change the DOCP, which enabled XMP-2 and clocked to 3200 MHz with correct timings. Still having the issue of Frametime spikes and large FPS drops. No idea where that's coming from. I've had these with literally 4 different rigs with entirely different hardware. Could it be something to do with the outlet? I've checked with multimeter, proper voltage and grounded...no idea.
Hi, you maybe better off removing that 3rd RAM stick as it may be spoiling memory performance, 16gb is quite enough for games. Or just shoe in 4th one. If memory is not working in dual channel (or 2 times dual channel in case of 4) it can cripple memory performance no matter the frequency. It may not fix your FPS drops completely but can't hurt.
Those problems can be caused by other things like CPU or GPU being inadequate or improperly set up, drivers or BIOS settings and version. Please list all parts.

Solution