Question RAM upgrade for Corsair i8100 Desktop PC (Z790 mobo) ?

SuzukiGS750EZ

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Hey guys. I just bought a Corsair i8100 desktop gaming PC which comes with 64GB of RAM. I know, that's plenty. I'd just like to max it out to 128. I was told by Corsair not to mix kits, which I've heard in the past and other have speculated doesn't matter if it's the same frequency, etc etc. My question more so is, corsair told me that with DDR5 and 4 slots, it's unstable. Is this true as a whole or just with their own memory? I know they wouldn't have recommended somebody else's memory. If the DDR5 issue has been resolved whether it be through a BIOS update or whatnot, can I mix corsair memory (32x4 from two different kits as they only sell 32x2) or are there other recommendations? It's got an RTX 4090 and a core i9 (13900KS). The current modules in there are DDR5, 5600mhz 32x2. I don't know what the C rating is on them though.

What motherboard do you have? Mixing of ram sets is always a fingers crossed proposition. These days it works more than it doesn't, but no one can guarantee you the sets will work together. As far as 128mb of DDDR5 ram you would have to check the motherboard support site and check the memory QVL to see what is supported and at what amount and mhz..

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know, that's plenty. I'd just like to max it out to 128.
If you have plenty and are not close to running out doing what you do then why even spend the money to max it out?

The new memory is actually harder to add mixed sets to.
DDR2 was easy DDR 3 was easy as long as it was the same density, DDR4 got harder now DDR 5 is really just a unknown.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
What motherboard do you have? Mixing of ram sets is always a fingers crossed proposition. These days it works more than it doesn't, but no one can guarantee you the sets will work together. As far as 128mb of DDDR5 ram you would have to check the motherboard support site and check the memory QVL to see what is supported and at what amount and mhz..
It's a Z790, supports up to 128GB. I just wanted to throw it in now while i have the money and max it out.