[SOLVED] RAM upgrade in Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIcedCanadian

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Hi,
I have had my mac book pro for over two years now, and it still works a charm. Though recently, I was noticing it was running slower compared to other computers, and looked into RAM upgrades.
I was wondering if the Corsair Vengeance Laptop RAM would work in my laptop.
http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-8gb-high-performance-sodimm-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx8gx3m2a1600c9
I have a mid-2012 13" i5 2.2GHz processor, currently equipped with 4Gb (2x2Gb) of RAM, running at 1600MHz.
I know Corsair makes fantastic products, but I am not 100% sure that this RAM would work in my computer.

Thanks.

Solution
The specs from Apple are as follows:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012)

Number of memory slots 2
Base memory 4 GB
Maximum memory 8 GB
Memory card specifications - Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
- 67.6mm x 30mm (1.18 inch)
- 2 GB or 4 GB
- 204-pin
- PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz type RAM
Additional notes For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.

I was looking for additional information on voltage and latency but failed to find it from Apple.

It appears as though that RAM should work. As a side note the maximum you can install is 16GB and not 8GB as stated by Apple. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and upgraded the RAM from 4 to 16GB (do a lot...
The specs from Apple are as follows:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012)

Number of memory slots 2
Base memory 4 GB
Maximum memory 8 GB
Memory card specifications - Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
- 67.6mm x 30mm (1.18 inch)
- 2 GB or 4 GB
- 204-pin
- PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz type RAM
Additional notes For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.

I was looking for additional information on voltage and latency but failed to find it from Apple.

It appears as though that RAM should work. As a side note the maximum you can install is 16GB and not 8GB as stated by Apple. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and upgraded the RAM from 4 to 16GB (do a lot of video editing with HD footage which is the reason for the upgrade to 16GB).

Solution

TheIcedCanadian

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

So I can install 2x8Gb RAM modules and it will work fine (don't want to get into anything too complicated)

Yes, I did it and it is no more complicated than installing 2x4GB of RAM. You don't need to do anything special to get the Mac to recognize all 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.