RAM upgrade on Intel DH55TC motherboard

Amal_APZ1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I have an Intel DH55TC motherboard, with an Intel i3 530 processor.

I want to upgrade the RAM on my system, which currently homes a 2GB RAM, & I want to replace it altogether with a G-Skill 4GB DDR3 x 2 (1600Mhz) RAM.

Since I already bought these RAM sticks RAM (my bad :-()!

Windows 7 32 Bit is currently running on my system.

After reading the answers here I have decided to upgrade the system to a 64bit, since Win7_32bit doesn't support more than 4GB of RAM.

I also know that my system is a 1333Mhz RAM Support,.

So will my system work with a Win7_64Bit & G-Skill 4GB DDR3 x 2 (1600Mhz) RAM?

Please help, or suggest the correct steps for installing the RAM.

Solution
The ram kit you've mentioned will not run at 1600MHz but should operate on your board at a downclocked frequency of 1333MHz. The board also has 4 DIMM slots meaning you should distribute the ram sticks as 4x4Gb to max the system to 16GB. In essence try and update the BIOS for your board and then populate the new ram kit. I've had issues with a DH55PJ board that refused to work with any sort of ram you would throw at it in spite of having an up to date BIOS. It should also be noted that Intel's boards tend to be picky with what sort of rams they want to operate on.

Install the ram on the blue slots:
Intel_DH55TC_top.jpg

after you've updated your BIOS while on the 2GB...

Lutfij

Titan
The ram kit you've mentioned will not run at 1600MHz but should operate on your board at a downclocked frequency of 1333MHz. The board also has 4 DIMM slots meaning you should distribute the ram sticks as 4x4Gb to max the system to 16GB. In essence try and update the BIOS for your board and then populate the new ram kit. I've had issues with a DH55PJ board that refused to work with any sort of ram you would throw at it in spite of having an up to date BIOS. It should also be noted that Intel's boards tend to be picky with what sort of rams they want to operate on.

Install the ram on the blue slots:
Intel_DH55TC_top.jpg

after you've updated your BIOS while on the 2GB stick. BIOS updates can be found here.

It's best to do your research and then make your purchase after your conclusion is that the board will support it, not the other way round. Your post sounds like you've purchased the ram kit and now asking for a solution.

Solution
To everything the above poster said, i would add that you should install W10 x64 with your W7 key(it will work until teh end of themonth when teh free upgrade offer ends). No sense in messing with the 7 years old W7 anymore. W10 is a vastly suporior OS.

Lutfij

Titan
Actually, it's advised that you should try and work with what you have since Windows 10 has a known number of documented issues with those who have upgraded to it. This is already going to be a hairy mess for the OP if the ram doesn't work. It took me about 6 hours and a lot of support from the retailer to help me source over 12 types of DDR3 4GB sticks(more so when I was looking at a pair)that would work on my friend's DH55PJ board. The retailer was baffled as, in spite of having the ram sticks show up in BIOS, the system refused to go past the Windows splash screen but my Mushkin 996982 kit worked flawlessly.

Might I ask where you hail from OP?

It's not W10's fault that the board is picky with RAM. My recommendation stands, as one would obviously first make sure the ram works and then install the new OS, be it 7 or 10.

Amal_APZ1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi Lutfij & Hlsgsz,

Thanks for the insight!

On a safer side I have asked for a replacement for my G-Skill 4GB DDR3 x 2 (1600Mhz) RAM

And now I have to buy the RAM for my system again, so I checked the datasheet of "Intel DH55TC - Computer Memory Test Labs Final Report", that conducted the RAM tests from different companies (Kingston, A-Data, Crucial, G.Skill, etc..) on the motherboard.

The tests were conducted few years back, so the RAMs are hardly available now.

From that list the G.Skill - F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL - http:// is compatible with the system.
Now, if I buy the one available in the market: G.Skill - F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL - http:// , which btw, has the same specifications as the other G.Skill RAM, then will it work on the system?

I know it must work, but, just an opinion?

Thanks & Best Regards!

Lutfij

Titan
Why not take your system to the shop and ask them to help you try out the ram's and see which ones are compatible? The prerequisite is that you have a 64bit OS to boot from and know from the get go that your previous setup was working flawlessly. As stated a few posts above, had I not shown the retailer my Mushkin kit was working he'd have pinned the issue to user error or simply refusing to accept his sticks of ram weren't working.

From the looks of things, they will work...the only discouraging fact would be the black PCB meaning a revision in chips used. Best course of action would be take the system to seller and try their kits out or pick two of these.

You're welcome though don't thank me yet, we're not yet out of the woods! ;)

* Don't you think selecting my post as the Best Answer was a little too hasty? The thread hasn't been solved yet. For this reason alone, I've deselected the Best Answer awarded to me.

Amal_APZ1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
After updating the BIOS, & installing the RAM on Blue Slots on the Motherboard, it worked!

My system was detecting the 8GB of RAM, & the Boot was successful too, with Windows 7 32 Bit booting perfectly & system worked fine as well :)

So indeed the solution given by you worked :)

But, since the Win7 32 Bit, only recognize & work the 4GB of RAM, so I had to upgrade it to a 64bit OS.
So when I started my system to boot with a new OS Installation disc, it was halted early!

Then when I switched to older RAM or 2GB, then the installation OS Windows 7 64bit Home Premium took place, successfully.

Then I again put the 8GB sticks, but again the same problem!
The boot is not working, even after putting just one RAM stick (of 4GB), it still doesn't boot, & it goes in a loop again & again!

I have tried to remove the cache from loading defaults in BIOS, by jumper, & by removing battery!
But still, the System only recognizes the 8GB of RAM in BIOS settings menu, but the Boot is always unsuccessful!

Any suggestions?

Best Regards

Lutfij

Titan
If your system with the 8GB's of ram booted up on the 32bit version of Windows 7 then the issue can be isolated to the installer for your 64bit version of OS. Where did you source your installer from? It can also be possible that you're facing the same issue as I was with the DH55PJ board. That is why I asked you take your system to the seller(if you purchased it locally) and have them check out rams that allow you to boot into desktop. I also learnt when working on the aforementioned Intel board that they also don't want to work with rams that are generically screened, asking for quality grade sticks of ram.

As a failsafe option, have you tried manually inputting the timings/frequency/latency in BIOS?

+ Thank you for selecting my post as a Best Solution though it's not the solution to your issue...:/

Amal_APZ1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi,
The timings/frequency/latency in BIOS matches with the RAM and all are automatic, I've not put anything manually.

The OS I have is a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1, provided by Dell (it came with my XPS), so I used that to boot the desktop.

But now I'll take that to the local shop, at the seller.
Since, it seems the motherboard to be very picky in case of RAMs.

And to me it seems there can be an issue with Win7 64bit copy that I have, although it's an original, but still!

Thanks again.

Maharshi14

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016

I am facing exactly same issue with my adata 4Gb ram.
sor currently i am using windows 10 32bit with old 2Gb stick and new 4 Gb stick with usable ram of 3.18 Gb.
there's nothing i can do to get more performance with these memory..
waiting for solution... :(