[SOLVED] RAM Upgrade Question

Nov 25, 2019
Hello,

This is my current build:

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 630
MOBO: Asus H100M-R
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR4-2400MHz (KVR24N17S8/4)
PSU: 500W

I want to ask if this RAM (G.Skill Aegis 8GB DDR4-3000MHz (F4-3000C16S-8GISB)) will work in my build as dual or single channel and at it's rated speeds.
I took a look at the memory support of the motherboard but it's not there.

Solution
If you want to run a single stick of 8GBs it may work. The only way to tell for sure is to test it though. If you want to be sure get RAM listed on your specific motherboard's QVL. Also, it probably won't run at the advertised speed (3000Mhz) but again, the only way to know for sure is to test.

Edit - Also, if running on a single stick, be sure to follow your motherboard's manual instruction for where to place it. On a lot of boards it would go in the second slot (from the CPU) but some boards vary.
Do you plan to get just this one 8GB stick? It won't work properly (if at all) if you just try to add an 8GB stick to your 4GB stick.
Your motherboard uses dual-channel memory architecture. Thus memory should be installed in matching pairs (from a kit) unless you are only using one stick of memory. You can try to get two of the 8GB sticks that you mentioned and use those, for a total of 16GBs of memory but there's no guarantee it will be compatible. To be 100% sure you'll need to get RAM listed on your specific motherboard's QVL.

Reactions: Mystery43
If you want to run a single stick of 8GBs it may work. The only way to tell for sure is to test it though. If you want to be sure get RAM listed on your specific motherboard's QVL. Also, it probably won't run at the advertised speed (3000Mhz) but again, the only way to know for sure is to test.

Edit - Also, if running on a single stick, be sure to follow your motherboard's manual instruction for where to place it. On a lot of boards it would go in the second slot (from the CPU) but some boards vary.

Solution