Question Ram Vs CPU Temps

Fornwith

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I recently bought some corsair vengeance 3k Mhz ram. As always it was set to around 2144 Hz or so in the bios but I pushed it to 3150Mhz. My question is how much hotter does this make your CPU run in general? 1-10c?

That depends on a lot of variables and nobody is going to be able to give you a static number.

It can depend on the CPU maximum clock speed, low power options, DRAM voltage, CPU voltage, what motherboard you have and how good the power delivery is, what kind of case cooling you have, what memory modules you have in terms of heatsinking, what ICs are used on the memory and what timings you've settled on. I wouldn't even begin to try to guess any kind of exact number on temps. Overall, in generally, most memory run at or near the advertised profile speed (IF the profile speed is in the 2800-3600mhz range as compared to JEDEC SPD default non-OC profiles of 2133-2666mhz for most DDR4 platforms. The upcoming Ryzen 3000 series Zen 2 platform looks to change that though.) will usually show maybe a three to five degree temperature difference, if that, over the default SPD configuration. Pushing beyond the profile values is when you start actually seeing things jump up, especially when increased DRAM voltage is necessary, which it will be if you do that.

Last edited:
To clarify a bit more, Actual memory controller is in the CPU itself so increased memory frequency is bound to raise CPU temps a bit. New(ish) CPUs also have setting for that IMC controller and higher than base (in this case 2133MHz) RAM usually requires higher IMC voltage.