Question RAM went bad.

Oct 24, 2019
Hello,

A week ago, a sudden power outage happened, and my PC stopped working, total blackness, i was told that my 3 RAMs sticks (6gbs total) all went bad, and i bought new ones.

The question is, Can REALLY all RAMs go bad from a single power outage? it wasn't a lightning btw.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
RAM rarely goes bad, it's either defective from the outset, or it's fine and will work indefinitely.

For a power outage to have damaged the RAM itself, there would likely be more components impacted - RAM doesn't communicate to "power" directly. At a minimum, I'd expect some impact to the PSU & MB.

A system that no longer functions after a power outage can be tricky to diagnose. Are outages a common occurrence in your area?

Typically, the PSU (with adequate protections) would take the brunt of any 'damage' that could occur with respect to power (blackouts, brownouts etc). A poor quality PSU though, lacking in appropriate protections may not

Oct 24, 2019
Power outages rarely happen, but they happen, and i remember my graphics card stopped working because of power outage, but it got fixed later.

I don't know my PSU name and if its bad, my PC is built by hp, HP Pro 3130 microtower.