RAM will not clock higher than 2800MHZ

mhassanzadeh777

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys just wondering if you guys could help me out.

Currently running the CL16 Ripjaws RGB (2 dual channel 16gb so 32Gb all together) kit and I cannot for the life of me get it to faster than 2800mhz, even at this speed it sometimes get caught in a bootloop on restarting. I've tried XMP, fiddling with different timings and changing voltages and whatnot.

• Specs:
    Gigabyte Gaming 3 AB350
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC'ed to 3.9Ghz
    GTX 1080 FTW
    750 Corsair RMX PSU

If anyone can help me out I would definitely appreciate it! I know that these CPUs benefit from having faster RAM, but how much of a real world difference would 3200Mhz to 2800Mhz really make?

Thanks again guys :)

Solution

placing a ram that it takes dose not change the speed of it...

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
It'a always good idea to consult your motherboard's official memory compatibility list if you want guaranteed results before asking around. If your memory's not on the list, then it suddenly becomes a crapshoot trying to figure out what's wrong. Could be you motherboard (may need a BIOS update), could be your specific CPU and its integrated memory controller that just isn't stable at those speeds/timings with however many sticks you have, or it could possibly just be faulty memory. Try leaving your CPU at stock frequencies and then try applying the XMP profile. If that works, it could just be unstable at your current overclock.

mhassanzadeh777

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Yeah you are right. It isn't even on the list! Guess that would be my issue. Thanks man I'll take your advice from there. I could have sworn the ram I bought was on the list before... Maybe I was mistaken but you live and learn I suppose. Maybe the list changed? Thanks again tho :)

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
It sucks, but when you don't have either the time or money to go all out and purchase a couple of boards and memory kits at once to test compatibility, going by those lists is the only real guarantee you'll have that a certain configuration will work. Remember that officially, only 2400MHz speeds are supported and anything faster is considered an overclocked configuration, so going with memory above those speeds (or attempting to overclocking slower memory to those speeds) leaves you at the mercy of the board manufacturer's QVL lists and the luck of the draw for the quality of your CPU's memory controller. You might want to look up your exact kit's product# and see if there are any posts to it on forums or reviews sites regarding compatibility and recommended settings. Actually, you should probably post that info here too to see if anyone else has experience with that exact kit.

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015

placing a ram that it takes dose not change the speed of it mother boards usually the cheap ones cap the memory at 600mhz to 800mhz regardless of your ram Ryzen boards may be slightly higher like 1200mhz. i sugest you download cpuz and have it take a look at your specs it will tell you the speed your ram is

Solution