[SOLVED] RAM wont run at desired speed without OCing my CPU??

Jul 6, 2021
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/CQJbt6

That's the build I'm using. In the BIOS I enable DOCP, but when I boot the computer up and check the speed of the CPU it's never under 4k Ghz.

I've gone into the BIOS and reset everything to default and saved it, but then my RAM doesn't run at the speed it's supposed to when I do that!

Am I missing something??

Jul 6, 2021
You need to enable XMP in your bios for the RAM to run at its full capability since you reset the bios.

Yes, I understand that, but when I do that my CPU seems to OC itself and won't run below 4.8k Ghz... Even when under like 5% load.

So is my xmp profile causing my CPU to OC? Or do I just not understand something that is going on and everything is running normally? Lol

Thanks in advance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/CQJbt6

That's the build I'm using. In the BIOS I enable DOCP, but when I boot the computer up and check the speed of the CPU it's never under 4k Ghz.

I've gone into the BIOS and reset everything to default and saved it, but then my RAM doesn't run at the speed it's supposed to when I do that!

Am I missing something??

Your CPU officially supports up to 3200Mhz and you are using 3600Mhz OC RAM.
There will be no D.O.C.P profile for easy overclocking and there is no guarantee you will achieve the rated speed of 3600Mhz.
The max frequency will be determined by the strength of the IMC on your chip.
XMP is intel's extended memory profile and usually will not work with Ryzen.

Return what you have for a kit that your CPU can handle or try to manually enter Timings and Dram voltage in Bios.
There is a dram calculator to help determine difficult to overclock OC RAM however this again is not guaranteed to work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Neo's are good for Ryzen, and 5 series cpus support upto 4000 officially, but rarely get there, usually 3800 is tops. 3600 is a no brainer for that cpu. DDR4 default speed is 2133MHz. Motherboard chipsets and cpu IMC can boost that, so you'll see 2133-3200 as is, but 3433MHz and up may have an (OC) next to it, meaning it's beyond official support of the motherboard and cpu and requires docp/xmp or manual settings. The ram is guaranteed to reach rated speeds, but there's no guarantee the motherboard/cpu will allow rated speeds, it's (OC) after all.

@ Op. You have to be careful about settings, and understanding them fully. I'm betting you are doing 2 things. First, in bios you are sticking the cpu in Asus Performance mode, and in windows your power plan is also in performance mode. That's going to jack up the Hz of the cpu and not allow it to settle into idle frequencies. Standard/balanced is best. Which happens when you return the bios to factory default settings.

Secondly, you most likely are making assumptions. Most reported numbers are from fastest/hottest/highest values. Windows might report you are at 4.8GHz, but generally that's only the fastest core, the rest could easily be at 3.8GHz. That applies to temps as well, you might be at 60°C, but that's only 1 core, the hottest at the time of reading, but the others could be at 36°C easily.

Jul 6, 2021
Your CPU officially supports up to 3200Mhz and you are using 3600Mhz OC RAM.
There will be no D.O.C.P profile for easy overclocking and there is no guarantee you will achieve the rated speed of 3600Mhz.
The max frequency will be determined by the strength of the IMC on your chip.
XMP is intel's extended memory profile and usually will not work with Ryzen.

Return what you have for a kit that your CPU can handle or try to manually enter Timings and Dram voltage in Bios.
There is a dram calculator to help determine difficult to overclock OC RAM however this again is not guaranteed to work.

Ok so you're saying my RAM doesn't work with my CPU..

Also where is this DRAM calculator?

Neo's are good for Ryzen, and 5 series cpus support upto 4000 officially, but rarely get there, usually 3800 is tops. 3600 is a no brainer for that cpu. DDR4 default speed is 2133MHz. Motherboard chipsets and cpu IMC can boost that, so you'll see 2133-3200 as is, but 3433MHz and up may have an (OC) next to it, meaning it's beyond official support of the motherboard and cpu and requires docp/xmp or manual settings. The ram is guaranteed to reach rated speeds, but there's no guarantee the motherboard/cpu will allow rated speeds, it's (OC) after all.

@ Op. You have to be careful about settings, and understanding them fully. I'm betting you are doing 2 things. First, in bios you are sticking the cpu in Asus Performance mode, and in windows your power plan is also in performance mode. That's going to jack up the Hz of the cpu and not allow it to settle into idle frequencies. Standard/balanced is best. Which happens when you return the bios to factory default settings.

Secondly, you most likely are making assumptions. Most reported numbers are from fastest/hottest/highest values. Windows might report you are at 4.8GHz, but generally that's only the fastest core, the rest could easily be at 3.8GHz. That applies to temps as well, you might be at 60°C, but that's only 1 core, the hottest at the time of reading, but the others could be at 36°C easily.

And you're saying that the RAM is in fact GOOD for my CPU?

However, to answer your question; no. I am not in Asus Performance mode, it's on Standard.

I'm using the DOCP settting in my BIOS for 3600mhz/1.35v/16/16/16/16/36.. Is this the same as an XMP setting?

I'm not having any trouble with the memory (that I'm aware of at least). I'm just trying to figure out why my Ryzen 7 5800x is ALWAYS running @ 4.8k Ghz or close to it ALL the time?? This is my first build and I'm not sure if I've OCed it by accident or if this is what the CPU runs at normally or what!!

When I go to Task Manager, and click on the Performance tab, it shows my CPU @ less than 5% utilization, but running at 4.4kghz-4.8kghz...

^ Is this the assumption part you're referring to mate?

I'm still kind of confused. As if you guys couldnt tell, this is my first build lol.

I'm not having any trouble with the memory (that I'm aware of at least). I'm just trying to figure out why my Ryzen 7 5800x is ALWAYS running @ 4.8k Ghz or close to it ALL the time?? This is my first build and I'm not sure if I've OCed it by accident or if this is what the CPU runs at normally or what!!
This is how the CPU is suppose to run. If you check a program like Core Temp 1.17, it should should show how many watts the CPU is using when idle and it will be somewhere in the 30-40watt range until you start doing something that increases CPU load. You can also see the different cores running at different frequencies and see how much voltage the CPU is using. It constantly changes for the most optimal performance according to the workload as programed by the bios.

I wouldn't be to concerned with it as long as it's not pegged at 4.8Ghz on all cores with 1.35-1.4v without any fluctuation in frequency or voltage.

Last edited:
Ok so you're saying my RAM doesn't work with my CPU..

Also where is this DRAM calculator?

And you're saying that the RAM is in fact GOOD for my CPU?

However, to answer your question; no. I am not in Asus Performance mode, it's on Standard.

I'm using the DOCP settting in my BIOS for 3600mhz/1.35v/16/16/16/16/36.. Is this the same as an XMP setting?

When I go to Task Manager, and click on the Performance tab, it shows my CPU @ less than 5% utilization, but running at 4.4kghz-4.8kghz...

^ Is this the assumption part you're referring to mate?

I'm still kind of confused. As if you guys couldnt tell, this is my first build lol.
Your Ryzen 7- 5800x has a base clock of 3.8Ghz and a boost clock of around 4.7Ghz. Boost is on by default and can if you wish be disabled and allow an all core manual Overclock.
Boost technology will when conditions are right, Boost a couple of cores if temps are OK and there is a demand for it.

The DRAM calculator is used in conjunction with Thaiphoon burner to calculate the best primary and secondary timings and voltage for some difficult to program RAM. As with any apps the results are not guaranteed but can help understand the complexity of OC RAM.

D.O.C.P is AMD's version of XMP which is primarily Intel's method of easy Overclocking RAM. If your RAM does not work with either then you have to program Timings and Voltage manually in Bios.

Last edited: