Rambus Loses 7-year Patent Battle Against Micron, Hynix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]. Rambus will appeal it, and the next result could be different. If you can get RMBS very cheap, it's a very good stock to own.[/citation]

You can't appeal a jury's fact based determination. You can only appeal rulings of law. Nice try though, broker dude.......... LOL.

This case has been going on for seven years. The court system is going to flush it down the toilet where it belongs. The best that Rambus can hope for is that someone buys the company before it goes bankrupt. But most likely they will just wait until afterwards and get the licenses from the bankruptcy court for pennies on the dollar (remember 3DFX and what a steal that was for Nvidia?).

[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]RDRAM was crazy price. And the ram companies did nothing to lower costs. the technology was not a prioity compared to other technoligies. Due to the high price, intel was forced to move to PC133/DDR.So I can see why RAMBUS would be pissed.THere is no reason RDRAM was so expensive to buy. RAM companies just didn't give a crap and didn't care to manufacture enough to reduce costs. If you think about it, they had Itel pushing the technology. ANd if Intel cannot push the technology then you know something is wrong.They had a good opportunity, and wind was taken from their sails.RAMBUS turned evil after this.[/citation]

Actually, by that time Intel was not as strong at pushing technology. They had made a few bad choices and the competition was giving them a hard time. They had no technichal advatage (or at least not enough) to push that technology despite the price. If it happened today, maybe it would work.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Die rambus DIE! They also caused memory prices to go up. And rdram was useless for p3 systems. Good thing about rdram is that it helped sell a lot of AMD systems. A buddy spend x4 times the cost on ram for a junky slow p4 @ 1.6 ghz that was slower than my p3 866mhz system .

I hate that company.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Ironically, when RDRAM was very expensive, and for a processor that couldn't effectively use it (although the i840 worked well), Intel was pushing RDRAM. When RDRAM prices finally fell so they were the same as DDR, and it had a processor that could use it, Intel walked away from it. Weird.[/citation]

Not weird at all. Intel at the time stated quite clearly they preferred to do business with companies that competed in the marketplace, not the court room. Of course, they were committed for a time, but dumped Rambus as soon as the contracts were up.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
YESSSSS!!!!

Take that patent IP chasing scum. If anyone knows the story behind this, cRAMBUS, took this idea out of a JEDEC meeting and then patented it. Scum. Pure scum. RAMBUS should change their name to "Pure IP chasing SCUM.

Strike a BIG victory for the free market.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
with it being 7 years in the tubes, they had to have figured it was coming.

I hope ATI/AMD snaps up the company before it takes a real dump, and repurposes it's resources towards making better cards. IMO a proc/ram/graphics full-on business solution could really pick up AMD's britches.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Great time play these stocks Wednesday. RMBS took a 60% dive, MU gained over 20%, then RMBS got back 20% of that the following morning. It's interesting that RMBS doesn't produce product, that are entirely a patent portfolio.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I seem to recall that RAMBUS either went out and patented the technologies proposed / developed by a Joint Development Committee for the purposes of extorting license fees, or submitted / pushed their own patented technologies to the Committee without disclosing the patents until the standard had been finalized and agreed upon.

Would someone with a better memory or better Googling skills help me out with this one?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors....Rumors say AMD is using XDR....not RDRAM....[/citation]
Well yes, but it's still Rambus's DRAM.

G

RAMBUS is a really shady company in my book. Couldn't be happier to see their lawsuit flop and their stock drop like a brick!

Pretty screwed up to attend a open forum for memory technology, try to get your proprietary stuff into the standard. Then go patent other items you learned about in the forum, and then sue every memory manufacture.

DIE RAMBUS DIE!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors....Rumors say AMD is using XDR....not RDRAM....[/citation]

Tons of motherboards for the Pentium III used RDRAM. The i820 was the mainstream replacement for the 440BX. Intel castrated the i815 by allowing it to only access 512 MB, and artificially slowed it down. The i820 wasn't a good chipset, but it was modern and had features 440BX didn't have (AGP 4x, ATA 100, etc...). The real winner in the group was the i840, which had excellent performance. It interleaved memory, so the latency issue was addressed, and had crazy bandwidth which proved effective if AGP was used a lot, or in dual processor configurations. i840 was easily the best chipset for the Pentium III, except for the fact they never moved it to the Tualatin. And, yes, it used RDRAM. Very effectively, for a Pentium III.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I remember them in the 90's, never cared for their overpriced memory or their patent lawsuits.
I would like to see Rambus paying back the money that they have gotten from other companies for
their fraudulent lawsuits.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
RAMBUS is over priced CRAP! I had more BSOD with that in Win 2000 than any other memory. And let me tell you, it takes a lot to get a BSOD in Windows 2000.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Tons of motherboards for the Pentium III used RDRAM. ~~The i820 wasn't a good chipset, but it was modern and had features 440BX didn't have (AGP 4x, ATA 100, etc...). The real winner in the group was the i840, which had excellent performance.[/citation]

A - RD-RAM never became a major standard with the P3... and it was only with the early P4s... When it was proven that DDR showed NO performance loss (on non-intel boards) with P4 and the X4 price of RD-RAM, even intel had to cave.

B - While the 840 was a good chipset, it still used RD-RAM which didn't offer ANY performance improvement for the P3. yes it ran fast - but RD-RAM had very high latency - which SDR and DDR didn't have and for far less.

C - The 820 Chipset is what got intel in trouble. I even bought one from ASUS - and it ran like crap and I took it back and within a month or so, it busted intel with lawsuits in which intel had to REPLACE every single 820 board on the market with something else. It was a bad debacle... when a chipset was supposed to replace the very reliable - but old BX chipset... which is what the industry *DID DO* as well as use VIA for more features.

D - While the i815 only supported 512mb - It SMOKED the i820 and i840 chipsets in performance, costs and reliability. Until 2 years ago, some of my clients were *STILL* running P3-800Mhz on 815 ASUS boards that I built in 2000. (Replaced with AMD X2). But back in 1999~2000, the OS of choice was Windows98 and 512MB was all it could really handle. It was enough and most people had 64mb system - power users had 256mb which was about $200. The 512mb limit was a non-issue.

sykozis wrote :
Exactly what Pentium3 compatible motherboards supported RDRAM??? The only boards I've ever seen support it were all for Pentium4 processors.
Pretty much before you time... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.