[SOLVED] RAMDISK for faster browsing

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I have an ssd on my Thinkpad . Do you think, downloading RAMDISK and put the cache of Chrome there, will improve the responsiveness of my browsing and page loading time ?

Solution
I saw that many people , try install , the windows 10 on ramdisc. What is your opinion about t ?
No.

• Unless the RAMDisk is somehow instantiated in the BIOS (some hardware can do that), it doesn't yet exist to 'install' Windows to.
  • How much physical RAM would you be devoting to this?
  • Boot up and shut down would be much slower. RAM is volatile. Unless you write that whole thing out to disk at shutdown, you lose it all. Similar on boot up. You'd have to read the whole thing off disk/SSD into RAM.
  • Once running, a lot of the OS is running on RAM anyway.
I have 12 gb. I think i am ok. Question is, even on a system with huge more ram and ssd, this program will offer different browsing experience ?
With the cache already being on an ssd there won't be enough difference to notice,the only reason to still do it would be to save the SSD from writes but SSDs are capable of enough writes to last so there is no need for that either.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis

USAFRet

Titan
I saw that many people , try install , the windows 10 on ramdisc. What is your opinion about t ?
No.

• Unless the RAMDisk is somehow instantiated in the BIOS (some hardware can do that), it doesn't yet exist to 'install' Windows to.
  • How much physical RAM would you be devoting to this?
  • Boot up and shut down would be much slower. RAM is volatile. Unless you write that whole thing out to disk at shutdown, you lose it all. Similar on boot up. You'd have to read the whole thing off disk/SSD into RAM.
  • Once running, a lot of the OS is running on RAM anyway.

Solution