[SOLVED] RAMs died?

xano.amrodrig

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
Hello, i have a msi b350m pro-vh motherboard and i was running a Kingston 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz CL16 in the first slot, today i bought another Kingston 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz CL16 and i loaded it on the second slot but the computer doesn't run. I've tried to run it one by one and nothing. Did the RAMs die because of mixing different mhz?

Solution
By the looks of it you have a Ryzen processor and those don't have an iGPU for the most part. Maybe you plugged in your HDMI cable into the motherboard? Worth a check if you are out of options.

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
even though they are the same brand name the pcbs on the ram could be made by different companys eg. hynix, micron or samsung this might be a problem, there is a code to find out if your pcbs are the same find help here MemTestHelper/DDR4 OC Guide.md at master · integralfx/MemTestHelper · GitHub there is kingston codes down the page a little

also you will only be able to run the ram at the lower mhz 2666 at the most the 3200mhz will be left with the difference redundant at least thats what i have read in the past

i have 2 dual channel ram sets in my pc but made sure they were identical when i bought the second set

xano.amrodrig

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
even though they are the same brand name the pcbs on the ram could be made by different companys eg. hynix, micron or samsung this might be a problem, there is a code to find out if your pcbs are the same find help here MemTestHelper/DDR4 OC Guide.md at master · integralfx/MemTestHelper · GitHub there is kingston codes down the page a little

also you will only be able to run the ram at the lower mhz 2666 at the most the 3200mhz will be left with the difference redundant at least thats what i have read in the past

i have 2 dual channel ram sets in my pc but made sure they were identical when i bought the second set

Thanks for the reply.
The codes are:
2666mhz - DPMM1641902
3200mhz - DSMMQ8B2053

Is the problem here? And are the RAMs dead or there is anything i can do?

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Kingston Code
  • Example: DPMM16A1823
    • The bolded letter indicates the manufacturer. H for Hynix, M for Micron and S for Samsung.
    • The next 2 digits indicate ranks. 08 = single rank and 16 = dual rank.
    • The next letter indicates the production month. 1-9, A, B, C.
    • THe next 2 digits indicate the production year.
    • This is the code for dual rank Micron produced in October 2018.
  • Source
so both are made by micron but that doesnt mean they are sure to work together think it looks like one is dual rank and the other is single rank might also be a factor try just the 3200mhz ram on its own if it works then you know that the 2 sets wont work toegther and you have a problem

xano.amrodrig

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
Kingston Code
  • Example: DPMM16A1823
    • The bolded letter indicates the manufacturer. H for Hynix, M for Micron and S for Samsung.
    • The next 2 digits indicate ranks. 08 = single rank and 16 = dual rank.
    • The next letter indicates the production month. 1-9, A, B, C.
    • THe next 2 digits indicate the production year.
    • This is the code for dual rank Micron produced in October 2018.
  • Source
so both are made by micron but that doesnt mean they are sure to work together think it looks like one is dual rank and the other is single rank might also be a factor try just the 3200mhz ram on its own if it works then you know that the 2 sets wont work toegther and you have a problem

The problem is that now none of the RAMs work solo. Not the old one, not the new one, looks like both are dead. Is it normal do kill the RAMs just by mixing the mhz?

Jan 8, 2021
By the looks of it you have a Ryzen processor and those don't have an iGPU for the most part. Maybe you plugged in your HDMI cable into the motherboard? Worth a check if you are out of options.

Solution