[SOLVED] RAMs with different sizes

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hello!

I have a B450 Tomahawk MAX, as I could read it quad channel is not possible, only 2xdual channels. I have 2x8GB HyperX Fury Black. My question is, if I buy 2x16GB HyperX Fury Black (I found on a forum for a good price) it will run just fine in dual channel or it will be a problem because it is not the same size as the other two? I assume that because it is only capable of 2 dual channels then it has to be 2-2 of the same brand and size. All four would be 3200Mhz. Should I buy it or search for 2x8GB?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
So you say it might won't work even if it would be the same brand, size and speed. Is it suggested to buy the same brand or at this point it is never mind?
Same brand, size, speed is likely to work.
Likely == something less than 100% guarantee.

If you want XXGB RAM and a 100% guarantee, buy that XXGB as a set.

Not sure how many times the same thing can be said.

USAFRet

Titan
This question is asked here every day, multiple times per day.

The only real solution is to sell what you have, and buy a set of whatever size RAM you need.

Mixing RAM, even of the same size, is not guaranteed to work.

You can buy that 2x16GB, put it in.
It may work with your existing RAM, it may not.

How much RAM do you actually need?

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I do streaming while playing games, doing multiple tasks, even if I only have my Chrome and Discord opened it takes 8GB of my memory without streaming and gaming so I would like to upgrade to at least 32GB. But if it works then I would not sell the one I have just add some more.

USAFRet

Titan
I do streaming while playing games, doing multiple tasks, even if I only have my Chrome and Discord opened it takes 8GB of my memory without streaming and gaming so I would like to upgrade to at least 32GB. But if it works then I would not sell the one I have just add some more.
It may work, it may not.

If it works, great.
If it does not, you've been advised of this.

USAFRet

Titan
So you say it might won't work even if it would be the same brand, size and speed. Is it suggested to buy the same brand or at this point it is never mind?
Same brand, size, speed is likely to work.
Likely == something less than 100% guarantee.

If you want XXGB RAM and a 100% guarantee, buy that XXGB as a set.

Not sure how many times the same thing can be said.

Solution