Question Ran my 5800x3d for 1 hour with the cpu cooler sticker still on....

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
As the title suggests, I accidentally ran my 5800x3d with my PA 120 sticker attached to the cooler, I was trying to troubleshoot my temp problems when I remembered I never took it off (such an amateur mistake but I was in a rush). The Cooler was running around 80c-90c while I was troubleshooting the problem and finally realized my mistake. Now it sits around 70c when I game!

I know this sounds sleezy but should I just return it and buy a new one? I am scared I shortened the life of the CPU since Iran it at 90c for about an hour. What are your opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
You should be fine, if that's your load temps.

What sort of temps do you see when at idle? Ambient room temps? make and model of your case, the number of fans in the case and the orientation of the fans in the case that's in question?

BIOS version for your motherbaord at this moment of time?
At the moment it is idling at 40c, gaming around 62-70c.

I'm just scared because I ran it for 45+ minutes around 90c trying to figure out why it was so hot until I realized I never took off the cpu cooler sticker. Thinking of returning and just installing a new one.

Ambient is 23-24c though, 3 intake, 3 out. XPG starker - just updated to the latest bios 1.2.0.a

Lutfij

Titan

What sort of temps do you see when at idle? Ambient room temps? make and model of your case, the number of fans in the case and the orientation of the fans in the case that's in question?

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016

I'm just scared because I ran it for 45+ minutes around 90c trying to figure out why it was so hot until I realized I never took off the cpu cooler sticker. Thinking of returning and just installing a new one.

Ambient is 23-24c though, 3 intake, 3 out. XPG starker - just updated to the latest bios 1.2.0.a

Solution

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021

most of the cpus these days have thermal protection i highly doubt it would have blown the cpu up at 100c anyway so i dont think now that you have sorted your cooling out correctly there is any lasting damage to it ..
40 c and 60 to 70c gaming is perfectly fine temps for the 5800x3d thats about what im getting with the arctic freezer ii AIO 360mm on my other rig !!