ran prime 95 on I5-4690k and hit 85 in less than a minute

skip0421

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I have ran prime 95 for the first time on my new build and it hit 85 degrees celcius in less than a minute so I shut it down to be safe. This is my first good build so I am a little new to overclocking and building pc's. I am not overclocking yet this is just on normal and I have a stock fan that came with the cpu. I am planning on buying a better fan very soon. I don't think my case has enough cooling in it. It is a diypc ranger r-4 case. It has 3 fans one in front a side mount on the window and an exhaust fan. It showed a top fan on the specs but didn't have it. I called and they told me to drill holes for a fan but i already have it built so not unless i take everything out. I have a gigabyte g1 snyper motherboard, msi gtx 970, 16 gigs ddr3 1600 ram, 240 gig ssd, blue ray player, and a 600 watt power supply that I plan on getting a 750 watt soon. I just want some ideas. Do you think I should just get a better case and cpu fan? the case is a mid tower so even if I put in a cpu fan it would be tight and with only 3 fans 2 140mm, and 1 120 mm exhuast fan. Just need some help

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished
If you want to check if your case has enough airflow you should look at the temperature of the other parts (GPU, MOBO, etc..)
But trust me, the stock cooler will never keep your cpu under 75° in prime95 so i think 85° is just the stock coolers fault