Question Random annoying "dong" noise that plays every few minutes or so ?

Jan 26, 2021
Recently my pc has been randomly making a "dong" like sound effect for no reason i can find. ive tested all of the windows 10 system sounds and i dont think its Windows making the sound. The effect plays about every 5-10 minutes and i cant find a reason why. i found a forum thread from 9 years ago that had a similar issue and someone on that thread said that it was their netgear internet adapter. i have a powerline ethernet wall plug that i use but im not sure if thats the reason. Please help im about to go insane from this sound.

Ryzen 7 2700 with NZXT kraken cooler
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC
2x8 3200 ddr4 G.skil ripjaws V
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX motherboard
750w 80+gold Coolermaster power supply
Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb
Windows 10 Home

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

On your pc look in Task Manager / Startup tab: Any programs being launched that you do not recognize or expect?

The dong is probably some notification taking place.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that the dong occurred.

Reliability History has a time line presentation format that makes some problems really stand out.

I suspect a loose connection where the dong may be a "connect/disconnect" sound. But sound effects can be changed both intentionally or by some software app/means.

Still: start with Reliability History.

Next look in Event Viewer. Not as user friendly but will show problems that are occurring.

Jan 26, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

On your pc look in Task Manager / Startup tab: Any programs being launched that you do not recognize or expect?

The dong is probably some notification taking place.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that the dong occurred.

Reliability History has a time line presentation format that makes some problems really stand out.

I suspect a loose connection where the dong may be a "connect/disconnect" sound. But sound effects can be changed both intentionally or by some software app/means.

Still: start with Reliability History.

Next look in Event Viewer. Not as user friendly but will show problems that are occurring.
Thanks for the help i appreciate it but now the noise is starting to play on my laptop so im beginning to think its my headset or maybe a program i have installed on both of them. i havent installed anything suspicious considering i just wiped my pc and dont have many programs on it yet. i have a Razer Blackshark v2 x

Ralston18

Titan
First:

Does the following link present the applicable User "Master Guide" for your Blackshark ?

https://dl.razerzone.com/master-guides/RazerSynapse3/USBSOUNDCARD-00001321-en.pdf

Do verify that I have identified the correct Guide.

I scanned the Guide and did not note any "dongs" or other audio notifications per se.

However, it appears that there are quite a number of available end user options. Take a look at those options to determine if any have been changed or otherwise not as you expect.

One question: when you first plug in the headphones do you hear "connection dong"?

==========

Look at the programs common to pc and laptop.

Maybe some update initiated the "dong".

Again look in Reliability History - do so on both computers.

Jan 26, 2021
First:

Does the following link present the applicable User "Master Guide" for your Blackshark ?

https://dl.razerzone.com/master-guides/RazerSynapse3/USBSOUNDCARD-00001321-en.pdf

Do verify that I have identified the correct Guide.

I scanned the Guide and did not note any "dongs" or other audio notifications per se.

However, it appears that there are quite a number of available end user options. Take a look at those options to determine if any have been changed or otherwise not as you expect.

One question: when you first plug in the headphones do you hear "connection dong"?

==========

Look at the programs common to pc and laptop.

Maybe some update initiated the "dong".

Again look in Reliability History - do so on both computers.
The sound doesn't seem like its connected to any action that I do. That is the correct guide however since the last reply I have tried multiple headsets/headphones and the same issue is still happening. I also checked reliability monitor and nothing out of the ordinary has been happening. I have discovered that when I am not connected to the internet, the noise does not occur leading me to think that it is the powerline ethernet adapter I use. However, I'm still unsure since the noise will also play on my laptop which uses a wireless connection.