[SOLVED] Random Black Screen Flicker

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I just got a new monitor the Acer xf250q 240hz. And I will get sudden black screen flickers, any fixes to that? It happens every once in awhile. I am using a DP. And have tried 2 different ones.

Specs:
Rx 580 8gb
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB ram
A320 Motherboard
Thermaltake smart series 500w
(Freesync is on)

Solution
I just got a new monitor the Acer xf250q 240hz. And I will get sudden black screen flickers, any fixes to that? It happens every once in awhile. I am using a DP. And have tried 2 different ones.

Specs:
Rx 580 8gb
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB ram
A320 Motherboard
(Freesync is on)
Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by an incompatible app or display driver. To determine whether an app or driver is causing the problem, check to see if Task Manager flickers. Then, based on that information, you'll need to either update the app or the display driver.
Check to see if Task Manager flickers
Open Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on the keyboard at the same time. If...

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I have a new monitor and I am randomly getting black screen flickers after gaming awhile. I am wondering what is the cause and the best solution to fix this. I enabled amd Freesync, after disabling it for about a week I had no black screen until today. And I would like to keep Freesync on. Do I need a certain DisplayPort cable?

monitor: acer xf250q 240hz
Gpu: Red Devil rx 580 8gb
Psu: Thermaltake smart series 500w

DracoB0T

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020

Specs:
Rx 580 8gb
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB ram
A320 Motherboard
(Freesync is on)
Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by an incompatible app or display driver. To determine whether an app or driver is causing the problem, check to see if Task Manager flickers. Then, based on that information, you'll need to either update the app or the display driver.
Check to see if Task Manager flickers
Open Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on the keyboard at the same time. If that doesn't work, right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen and then select Task Manager.
  • If Task Manager doesn't flicker, an app is probably causing the problem.
  • If Task Manager does flicker, a display driver is probably causing the problem.
Update an incompatible app
Three apps were previously known to cause screen flickering in Windows 10: Norton AV, iCloud, and IDT Audio. In most cases, updating the app or contacting the app manufacturer for an update will fix the problem.

Update your display driver
To update your display driver, you'll need to start your PC in safe mode, uninstall your current display adapter, and then check for driver updates.
  1. Start your PC in safe mode, then right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the listed adapter, then select Uninstall device. Select the Delete the driver software for this device checkbox, then select Uninstall and restart your PC.
  3. After your PC restarts, press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button and then select Settings.
  4. From Settings, select Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

Solution

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I'm having the same issue as the OP, I just replaced my PSU and it's still happening.

Win 10
3600x

I updated all drivers, I replaced my PSU, next I'm going to swap my GPU and see if it still happens.
I ended up getting a new monitor and the screen flickering went away. But now having issues with my pc just randomly powering down