Question Random black screen freeze,then system tries to restart while playing some games

Mar 19, 2022
Okay so ive been getting black screen crashes while playing SOME games not all with my pc where it will freeze with a black screen but you hear the sound buzz then the system turns off and immediately tries to reboot itself but i have to turn it off and on with the power button to get it to boot otherwise the VGA light on mobo just stays on

Heres what ive tried so far

1.Reinstalled windows
2.used DDU to remove and reinstall gpu drivers
3.Made sure windows was up to date
4. Reseated GPU,RAM and made sure all cables are good
5.Undervolted RAM and GPU
6.upped the voltage on RAM and GPU
7.Disabled PBO
8.Enabled XMP profile in BIOS

My specs are as follows

ASUS Rog Stix B550-f gaming Non-wifi
AMD Rysen 5 5600x CPU
Corsair H150i AIO
4x8GB (32GB) Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ RAM
ASUS TUF gaming 6800xt 16GB
Corsair cx750w PSU
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB nvme m.2 SSD
TUF gaming RX 6800XT 16GB

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and where to look would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022
You haven't listed your Graphics card or are you using onboard setup

XMP is a memory turbo app just adding to your issue make sure its off for now

By the sound of it you have an overheating issue. More than likely in the Graphics or memory area.

I have a Samsung 980 pro, cost a fortune only had it in my machine for 2 days. Thing stopped booting, so rather than mess about with it, I wiped it and tried to send it back to Amazon, who refused it before I returned it and told me to contact Samsung which I did and they only replace stuff under RMA. It was 48 hours out of box new and nobody refunds it. That in itself should give you a pointer. However I digress.

If your machines rebooting on high load, I would look closely at the GPU Heat pattern. TechPowerUp GPU-Z is a good way to monitor its behaviour. It gives a mine of information on the GPU state. Or if that proves not to be the issue HWMonitor gives a overall view of the systems temps and voltages.

They are both Freeware and can help to trace your issues. Strat at default settings though is a good plan and see how that runs. Ive built a few systems using the 550 and find it a stable platform in both AMD and Intel.

Further info needed to help more.

Mar 19, 2022
You haven't listed your Graphics card or are you using onboard setup

XMP is a memory turbo app just adding to your issue make sure its off for now

By the sound of it you have an overheating issue. More than likely in the Graphics or memory area.

I have a Samsung 980 pro, cost a fortune only had it in my machine for 2 days. Thing stopped booting, so rather than mess about with it, I wiped it and tried to send it back to Amazon, who refused it before I returned it and told me to contact Samsung which I did and they only replace stuff under RMA. It was 48 hours out of box new and nobody refunds it. That in itself should give you a pointer. However I digress.

If your machines rebooting on high load, I would look closely at the GPU Heat pattern. TechPowerUp GPU-Z is a good way to monitor its behaviour. It gives a mine of information on the GPU state. Or if that proves not to be the issue HWMonitor gives a overall view of the systems temps and voltages.

They are both Freeware and can help to trace your issues. Strat at default settings though is a good plan and see how that runs. Ive built a few systems using the 550 and find it a stable platform in both AMD and Intel.

Further info needed to help more.
Hi thanks i completely forgot to mention my GPU,i edited my post
So far with HW monitor i cant see a temp issue,even when gaming
I also thought it was a temp issue at first but it only crashed on some games but not on others (weird i know)

As of writing this ive decided to instead of uninstall my drivers with ddu,uninstall the AMD RADEON software in control panel and remove it like that,i had windows load the generic drivers,then i reinstalled a fresh copy of my radeon drivers (selecting factory reset) ill post a link to the youtube video that helped me try this course of action for anyone having the same issue. I did not have a artifacts issue so i just ignored that part of the video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2n1Xpcja7k&t=215s

Ive had it running for a few hours now and so far so good,i havent had it crash again yet,even when trying to replicate the results by playing games that it crashed in before within 10 min

Played AC valhalla for the last 3 hours now and didnt get one issue so far,where i would normally crash within 15 min

Thanks for your input,will still monitor temps and everything and edit my post if needed

Mar 21, 2022
New games on old cards can present issues. I remember back when Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow came out. My poor AtI all in wonder pro went to 3 seconds per frame if i was lucky.
Cooling a card of that era is going to be a custom fan job, but I think you may find your on an uphill struggle.

Check out Ebay for an ATI 9000 or newer. Sorry other than that I can think or a thousnad reasons it will Black screen, basicly the card goes off when it has a screen overload. data it never knoew existed is in its memory. I get the inverse on my system that causes blacks, GTX 9 series cards dont like ray tracing, period

Mar 19, 2022
New games on old cards can present issues. I remember back when Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow came out. My poor AtI all in wonder pro went to 3 seconds per frame if i was lucky.
Cooling a card of that era is going to be a custom fan job, but I think you may find your on an uphill struggle.

Check out Ebay for an ATI 9000 or newer. Sorry other than that I can think or a thousnad reasons it will Black screen, basicly the card goes off when it has a screen overload. data it never knoew existed is in its memory. I get the inverse on my system that causes blacks, GTX 9 series cards dont like ray tracing, period
I have a newish card that i bought last year, its definitley not a GTX 9 series card xD. I have a AMD TUF gaming 6800 XT 16GB card

Update on previous post,so far still no crashes,so far so good. Thanks for the input

TRENDING THREADS