Question Random black screen on Windows 7 with 1060 6GB GPU graphics card

Aug 23, 2022
Hi all,

I'm at my wits' end. My desktop randomly gives me the black screen for a second or two and then the monitor turns on again. It doesn't freeze; it just turns off and then turns back on. I thought it was the 560 TI gpu so I bought a used 1060 6GB gpu made by ASUS and at first the problem became much less but after a month or so, it's happening more frequently now. Before that, I used this same desktop for a few years with no problem at all. It's only in the last few months that this problem started happening. I thought the Antec Neo 620W psu was bad since it's been used for a few years, so I got the EVGA Supernova P6 1000W and the problem wasn't resolved. I thought it was my old LG monitor, so I got another used identical one and the problem persists. I used that monitor with a second Intel desktop and the issue was not duplicated but my AMD desktop below still has the random black screen. Some website pages seem to induce more black screen timeouts than others. I tried uninstalling the 560 TI gpu driver and just left it with no driver and the problem was gone but that's not feasible since I can't find any alternative driver for either the 560 TI or the 1060 card, and with no driver, I can't watch any video on this AMD desktop.

My current setup:
Motherboard: M5A97 Asus
GPU: Asus GeForce 1060 6GB
PSU: EVGA P6 1000 Watt
CPU: 8230 FX
RAM: 32GB Vengeance
Browser: Latest Firefox

I checked the cpu and gpu temps and it's quite low, so what could be the problem? This random black screen didn't happen a few months back. Is it an issue of boosting the power to the motherboard via the BIOS? I don't know how to do that.

Which asus gpu do you have? Is it a blower(turbo) card? You might need more case ventilation. The card most likely needs to be cleaned and re pasted but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Check the solder points for the display out be sure they aren't coming apart.
It could be the cable it could be the port on either your card or the monitor.

Aug 23, 2022
Which asus gpu do you have? Is it a blower(turbo) card? You might need more case ventilation. The card most likely needs to be cleaned and re pasted but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Check the solder points for the display out be sure they aren't coming apart.
It could be the cable it could be the port on either your card or the monitor.

It's not the dvi cable because I got a new one from Amazon and the problem didn't go away. It can't be the monitor because I used that monitor with another desktop running an intel cpu and there was no black screen.

Reactions: spentshells