Random Black Screens

saw1833

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Occasionally now when I load up a video on YouTube I'll get a black screen. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it at all, but the key thing is that the display still recognizes a signal, and audio still plays (for a short time) it's just a black screen, and I'm forced to do a hard reset to get back to Windows.
At the same time, sometimes, also very randomly, when playing games, I'll get a lockup where the screen will freeze, again audio will continue or start to loop, and I'll be forced to hard reset.

For a time longer, also very randomly, I'll get random screen tears just doing general things like browsing the web. It's hard to describe the tearing, but it's kind of like it would be in a video game with high frame rate and no v-sync.

I've been trying to diagnose it but it's so random that it's been difficult to.
My current specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM: 8GB x 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB x2 (CrossfireX)
PSU: Corsair HX750

saw1833

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
The entirety of the PC is new from the beginning of December.

I'm trying to test the GPUs individually now. As far as in-game I can't tell if they're overheating because they've cooled down by the time I restart, as far as YouTube and the like, I've got the temps in my toolbar and as far as I can tell, they're not overheating.

I've been suspecting a GPU issue, unless one or more of the rails on the PSU is bad, but I've been reluctant to yank either of them and send them in yet, I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks and get the same thing back.