[SOLVED] Random BSOD in Windows 10 while gaming.

Oct 21, 2019
In the 2 or 3 weeks, I've had a couple of random BSOD's. And I have not been able to figure out whats the cause of them. They usually appear when I'm gaming. It's the only thing I use my PC for mostly so this is when I will get/notice them.
I will list the ones I had below:

1. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - wind32kfull.sys
  2. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - BEDaisy.sys (BattleEye) Got it while playing Escape from Tarkov which uses BattleEye.
  3. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - HIDCLASS.sys
  4. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - Ntfs.sys
There are 2 possible causes that made them occur.
  1. I put in a new CMOS battery as my pc kept booting into bios and the battery was 6 years old. My steps: my pc had been turned off since the day before. I switched the power button on my PSU and pulled out the cable. Then I started opening my case and took out the GPU and replaced the battery.
  2. I installed a new GPU. A RTX 2070 super. My drivers at the time were up to date and I checked if there were any new ones.
Since I got the BSOD's I updated all the drivers using Driver Easy, Driver Booster and Driver Hub. And I updated my bios to the latest version provided by MSI. I also ran the windows RAM tester without errors and did a drive check without errors.

I was running a stable overclock of 4.5ghz on my cpu with a RAM overclock to 2600mhz.

Hardware:
cpu - 6600k
mobo - z170a Gaming m5 (msi)
gpu - RTX 2070 super
ram - corsair vengeance ddr4 2133mhz (LPX)
Cooler - H100i V2 by corsair
PSU - Corsair AX860i
Main drive - Samsung EVO 960 m.2 ssd 500gb
mouse - corsair m65
keyb - corsair k70

Solution
Its possible its caused by GPU drivers. I don't like the new Nvidia drivers but then you have an RTX 2070 and if there are any cards the new drivers should work for, it is those.

If you have steam games and if they on another hdd, then you can simply reinstall client on new install and go into settings and point the location of the game library at the old location and steam will find games and you won't need to reinstall them.
I believe steam saves are kept in documents folder so if you keep files/settings they should be safe.

I believe its similar for origin as well.

Resets only touch C, so anything on other locations is just ignored and left as is. Windows after a reset has no idea what is on the other drives until you tell it...
Hello

We do not encourage using any third-party driver solutions unless extremely necessary.

That said, please uninstall all the drivers you installed using Driver Easy and any other such program, and try looking for those available on the vendors' official website.

If your PC is old and the vendor doesn't have the drivers for Windows 10, try installing those available for Windows 7, and then update them through Device Manager or Windows Update.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, thank you for your response!

I have absolutely no clue how to revert driver installation. Would a clean windows installation work? Because I do have a USB key with Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would do a reset as it will force windows to reload drivers without losing all your files.

go to settings/update and security/recovery
under reset this PC, click get started
should be a choice to keep files & settings - choose this, it will keep contents of library folders (folders such as documents, music, pictures, movies) and logins so you don't have to start from scratch
You will still need to reload all programs
it will restart and reinstall win 10 starting after the account set up screen.

3rd party driver programs can and will install wrong drivers.

once you reset, go to the utilities page of your motherboard website - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#down-driver&Win10 64 - and download LIve Update 6. Its the MSI tool made to update your board, Its even more reason why you don't need 3rd party driver tools.

people with MSI boards who don't know about the MSI tool and instead use 3rd party tools seem too common. It makes me sad.

Only other drivers you need then are Nvidia's.

if you keep getting BSOD after the reset, set this up:
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: XpRsSn
Oct 21, 2019
Thanks!

Something I haven't tried yet was use DDU to completely get rid of the gpu drivers. I used safe mode for this action. Then reinstalled the drivers. Maybe the RTX card might be causing this.

I'd this didn't solve my issue I will try the reset. How far wil things get lost as in programs and such? Would I have to reinstall games and such?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible its caused by GPU drivers. I don't like the new Nvidia drivers but then you have an RTX 2070 and if there are any cards the new drivers should work for, it is those.

If you have steam games and if they on another hdd, then you can simply reinstall client on new install and go into settings and point the location of the game library at the old location and steam will find games and you won't need to reinstall them.
I believe steam saves are kept in documents folder so if you keep files/settings they should be safe.

I believe its similar for origin as well.

Resets only touch C, so anything on other locations is just ignored and left as is. Windows after a reset has no idea what is on the other drives until you tell it. Same applies after a clean install. I use that feature to put everything I want to reuse on hdd and only have windows/applications I need to reinstall on C. All my games, music, documents are on hdd.

you may need to take ownership of the old folders after reset, I am not certain as it might recognise their locations due to details on your user. I haven't done one, I normally clean install as I have seen resets remove all of windows before... not often enough to warn against them.

Solution