Question Random BSOD (will be updated everyday)

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello guys,

3 months ago i bought a new CPU and MB, upgraded to Ryzen 7 3700x and MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk. The moment i placed the new components and booted, i had a BSOD loop.
I would like to mention that i don't have the dumpfiles anymore, sorry for that. I posted earlier some of the dumps and did the things that they told me such as download that driver or delete that thing but that didn't solve anything. What i do remember is that the img name of the BSODs were HARDWARE. Which is actually quite telling me that one of my hardware is faulty but not which one.
Another thing to mention is that my pc actually BSOD at first boot of the day, when i'm doing windows update while pc is shutting or when windows is updating at booting.

I am not stuck right now but probably tomorrow i'll be stuck if i can't find solution which is very sad. It's been 3 months that i thought it was driver or windows problem but it definitelly isn't.
There is a chance that my second new CPU is also faulty... But we'll see tomorrow :)

The reason i'm sharing is it to actually get advice from you guys too, i'm not an expert but trying my best to fix this problem. I don't have any spare money to buy new component or buy a new pc. Spent my last money to buy the CPU and MB, was planning to spare money for a 3000 series till summer. But that seems hard if i can't find the problem causing the BSOD.
I've been doing my best to not lose my mind for 3 months. The Rona is all around the world, can't do much out there. Pc was my only home hobby and i can't use it.

If you have anything to ask, please do. I really do need all advice or thoughts to fix or atleast isolate the problem.

Thanks for reading! <3

Things i did:
  1. Clean windows install 3times with 3 new installed windows and 3 different USB.
  2. Tried switching to a new SSD still had a BSOD. (unplugged both my old SSD and HDD to test the new SSD).
2.1 My friend did manage to install windows on my SSD on his setup and also update it without BSOD.
  1. Did RAM Memtest and had 0 errors. Tomorrow i'll be testing new RAM just to be sure.
  2. Sent CPU for RMA and got a new one told me it was faulty, BSOD still happens. I don't know what the odds are that my second CPU is also faulty? THERE ARE NO BENT PINS
  3. Did RMA Motherboard twice and they tested long enough to tell me they didn't occur the bsod or other problems i had. Sad that i can't test my motherboard on someone's setup to be sure if this is the cause.
Things i will do tomorrow:
  1. Try a friends PSU to see if it will stop the BSOD.
  2. If the BSOD occurs, i'll try to swap and try new RAM.
  3. Try to find a GPU i can use to also test it out.
  4. Try different PCIe slot
  5. Run driververifier
I will strike-through the components that i tested and if i'm 100% sure it's not the cause of the BSOD:
Motherboard
Power Supply
RAM
CPU
GPU
SSD/HDD

Types of BSODS i had:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 99% OF THE BSOD IS THIS
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
STORE_DATA_CORRUPTION

PC SPECS:
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 7 3700x
GTX ROG STRIX 1060 6GB
Crucial mx300 525gb,
WD Blue 1tb
Corsair rm650x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz c15 2x8GB

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
ok, so let's process of elimination this:

CPU was RMA'd they sent a new one saying original was faulty.
While it's possible to have gotten another faulty CPU, chances are slim.

RAM was memtested with no issues. doubt that's it, but can always try with different RAM once you get a hold of it.

PSU was tested, not the issue.

Motherboard was tested with other hardware by other people, no issues.

GPU was not tested? your friend for example can't let you use their GPU to find out? (since it doesn't look like this was tested, chances that it's the GPU are a bit higher but we'll have to wait and see)

You've done clean installs, with different flash drives and using different USB ports.

I assume you've made sure the BIOS was up to date to the latest version as well.

You've tested drives and they aren't the issue either as far as you can tell.

CPU: Not the issue
PSU: Not the issue
MOBO: Not the issue
SSD/HDD: Not the issue

RAM: Possibly an issue
GPU: Possibly an issue

Try testing only one stick of RAM at a time, testing it in all 4 slots on the motherboard one at a time each.

Make sure to do proper shut down procedure.
Shut down
Flip switch on PSU
Press and hold power button for 10 full seconds
Do things with RAM.

Repeat procedure every time you want to plug/unplug things like RAM so you don't accidentally short anything.

The reason for testing RAM sticks individually, and in all slots, is to determine if a single stick is faulty, or if one or more of the slots is faulty.

Perform a CMOS reset.
Procedure is fairly simple, do the shut down procedure above, then remove the CMOS battery (little watch battery) leave it removed for 5-10 minutes, then put it back in and boot up.

Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU to see if it's the PCIe slot (assuming the GPU isn't faulty)

These are all minor things you can do to try and narrow down the issue.

Be especially careful with the RAM, take your time and don't be in a rush, last thing you want to do is make one of your slots or sticks go bad.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Thanks for answering.
PSU will be tested tomorrow.
Try testing only one stick of RAM at a time, testing it in all 4 slots on the motherboard one at a time each.
I did try to use my ram individually and did occur a BSOD, both of them (2 months ago). But not on all 4 slots.
I assume you've made sure the BIOS was up to date to the latest version as well.
Yes BIOS is the latest version (not the beta).
MOBO: Not the issue
Not 100% sure if MOBO is not the issue because they only tested it for 30mins. Told me they were enable to enable XMP profile and boot with it, did 30mins OCCT and did not occur BSOD. When i try to use XMP profile, my pc won't boot and CPU EZDEBUG light will go on. I checked and my ram is compatible.
Edit: Since they were able to use it without problem i highly doubt its the ram slots.
You've tested drives and they aren't the issue either as far as you can tell.
I don't mind running driververifier again tomorrow to see if there is any conflict.
Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU to see if it's the PCIe slot (assuming the GPU isn't faulty)
Tomorrow i will ask a friend of mine if i can try his GPU, if i get to have BSOD i'll try other PCIe slot.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Enabling XMP on Ryzen is not as straight forward as Intel.
If your RAM has XMP Profile 2 option then that would be what you use, otherwise you have to enable DOCP in order to have the XMP profile translated properly.
Alternatively to that, you can just dial in the clock, timings, and voltage manually to that which is printed on the stickers of your RAM.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Enabling XMP on Ryzen is not as straight forward as Intel.
If your RAM has XMP Profile 2 option then that would be what you use, otherwise you have to enable DOCP in order to have the XMP profile translated properly.
Alternatively to that, you can just dial in the clock, timings, and voltage manually to that which is printed on the stickers of your RAM.
I tried using XMP Profile 2 but didn't work out either, didn't test it since i got my motherboard back today from RMA. I will definitelly try out tomorrow. I tried doing it manually but it's a bit complicated for me and couldn't do it.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
I tried manually overclocking and it doesn't boot. It gets stuck at CPU EZDEBUG LIGHT.

I tried a friends ram 2x8gb 3200mhz and i could boot the pc without problem when xmp enabled.
I did stress test my components with OCCT. 15 minute for each component and had not a single bsod (with friends ram).
Decided to put my ram and tried stress testing my ram, i did a 15min and a 5min stress test. Had both times bsod memory management when the stress test ended.

Could it be ram or is it just being lucky..

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Sounds like RAM to me, if you test your friends RAM and everything is fine, but your RAM is no good, then you need to replace the RAM.
You probably got faulty RAM.
It unfortunately happens to the best of us sometimes.
If you have a warranty for the RAM you can get it replaced.
It's only been a few months as you say, so you should be able to get replacement easy from Corsair.
Just give them the information they need about when you bought it, proof of purchase, and how it's been nothing but a pain for you this whole time and how your friends RAM works fine.

You will unfortunately most likely have to mail them your RAM for them to send replacement, which if this ends up being the case, you'll be unable to use your system until the new RAM arrives (unless you have some basic DDR4 RAM lying around that would allow you to at least use the system for general purpose)

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Sounds like RAM to me, if you test your friends RAM and everything is fine, but your RAM is no good, then you need to replace the RAM.
You probably got faulty RAM.
It unfortunately happens to the best of us sometimes.
If you have a warranty for the RAM you can get it replaced.
It's only been a few months as you say, so you should be able to get replacement easy from Corsair.
Just give them the information they need about when you bought it, proof of purchase, and how it's been nothing but a pain for you this whole time and how your friends RAM works fine.

You will unfortunately most likely have to mail them your RAM for them to send replacement, which if this ends up being the case, you'll be unable to use your system until the new RAM arrives (unless you have some basic DDR4 RAM lying around that would allow you to at least use the system for general purpose)
My ram is actually 4 years old. What i think weird is that i didn't get even a single error on memtest but i do get bsod when i stress test it? Idk.. this is soo sketchy. Ill try to do more stress tests tomorrow before i buy one.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
sometimes memtest will come back fine because the RAM is fine enough to pass but it's still unstable/faulty so it'll pass memtest but will fail when put under stress.
That is interesting. I was sitting 1 month thinking that my ram is fine untill i decided to do stress test.
I got another pair ram from another friend, did 3 tests and no bsod.
Placed my rams and i do 1min test, after the test is done i get insta bsod.
Before i buy new ram, i wanna stress test my ram out on friends pc to see if it's a faulty ram or just incompatibility.

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
I just found out that my ram is not compatible with my 3700x. It's not supported nor tested by Corsair.
I saw a post yesterday on reddit that someone was having the exact same problems i had.
Such as BSOD at random times, while doing windows update or when trying to install Windows. Pc does recognize and boot with my rams but doesn't boot on xmp profile. No error on memtest bit when you do memory stress test it does bsod after the test is done.
I've literally done 3 time a big windows update with friends ram and didn't get a single bsod, did atleast 10 stress test and played games for hours, no problem or bsod at booting.
It's clearly ram compatibility issue with 3000 series cpu.
I would like to thank you all for helping. I do hope its ram and i hope i don't get another bsod when i buy new rams fingers crossed. But i shouldn't.
Can we upvote this comment so people that have similar problems sees it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I just found out that my ram is not compatible with my 3700x. It's not supported nor tested by Corsair.
I saw a post yesterday on reddit that someone was having the exact same problems i had.
Such as BSOD at random times, while doing windows update or when trying to install Windows. Pc does recognize and boot with my rams but doesn't boot on xmp profile. No error on memtest bit when you do memory stress test it does bsod after the test is done.
I've literally done 3 time a big windows update with friends ram and didn't get a single bsod, did atleast 10 stress test and played games for hours, no problem or bsod at booting.
It's clearly ram compatibility issue with 3000 series cpu.
I would like to thank you all for helping. I do hope its ram and i hope i don't get another bsod when i buy new rams fingers crossed. But i shouldn't.
Can we upvote this comment so people that have similar problems sees it.
If you want to ensure that whatever RAM you buy will 100% work, make sure it is on the QVL for your motherboard.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-mem-19

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
If you want to ensure that whatever RAM you buy will 100% work, make sure it is on the QVL for your motherboard.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-mem-19
I'm checking it but i would like to know something before i buy it. So i'm gonna buy a CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and i tested this ram on my pc (friends ram) and it worked fine.
On the motherboard CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R is listed as 'compatible' but CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 is not listed. Can that cause a problem? Not sure what the R stands for.

Edit: I also would like to know if a ram version can cause a compatibility problem?

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The R version is a variant of the RAM that was specifically made for use with Ryzen, but the non R version should work just fine, all it means is that the manufacturer of the RAM specifically made and tested it for Ryzen.
The QVL isn't and end all be all though, if RAM isn't on the QVL it doesn't mean it won't work, it just means that it either wasn't tested or failed the test but there is no way to no which one, but 99% of the time it's because it wasn't tested rather than it didn't work.

Other people have purchased and used that RAM just fine on Ryzen if memory serves so it should be fine.

Compatibility gets more difficult with RAM that is higher speed than 3200mhz requiring you to get RAM from the QVL but 3200mhz and lower has higher compatibility rate

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
The R version is a variant of the RAM that was specifically made for use with Ryzen, but the non R version should work just fine, all it means is that the manufacturer of the RAM specifically made and tested it for Ryzen.
The QVL isn't and end all be all though, if RAM isn't on the QVL it doesn't mean it won't work, it just means that it either wasn't tested or failed the test but there is no way to no which one, but 99% of the time it's because it wasn't tested rather than it didn't work.

Other people have purchased and used that RAM just fine on Ryzen if memory serves so it should be fine.

Compatibility gets more difficult with RAM that is higher speed than 3200mhz requiring you to get RAM from the QVL but 3200mhz and lower has higher compatibility rate
I finally got the ram i bought. I got CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 2x8gb (AMD Optimized). This one is compatible with my MB and CPU. Fixed the problem for me and i also can OC.
The problem was that my old ram was not compatible with my CPU. Thank you for helping and sharing informations.