[SOLVED] Random BSOD

edwin_132

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
My PC has randomly blue screen since I build it back in early 2020. I have done MemTest86 4 passes without an error. I have reinstalled windows multiple times, made sure I'm using most recent drivers. Bios is updated to newest release. It seems to blue screen while watching videos on chrome most of the time. But will do it while performing other tasks as well. But not very often while gaming. Chrome also crashes a lot. Any help finding what could be causing them is gratefully appreciated. Here are some of the bsod.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN

STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION-it's favorite in chrome

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE

Below is also link to some mini dumps.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/342trxgm84y5dfh/Mini_Dumps.zip/file

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

MB: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK

Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 Super (ZT-T16620F-10L)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (MZ-76E500B/AM) Primary

HD: WD Blue 1TB Secondary

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
My PC has randomly blue screen since I build it back in early 2020. I have done MemTest86 4 passes without an error. I have reinstalled windows multiple times, made sure I'm using most recent drivers. Bios is updated to newest release. It seems to blue screen while watching videos on chrome most of the time. But will do it while performing other tasks as well. But not very often while gaming. Chrome also crashes a lot. Any help finding what could be causing them is gratefully appreciated. Here are some of the bsod.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN

STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION-it's favorite in chrome

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE

Below is also link to some mini dumps.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/342trxgm84y5dfh/Mini_Dumps.zip/file

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

MB: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK

Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 Super (ZT-T16620F-10L)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (MZ-76E500B/AM) Primary

HD: WD Blue 1TB Secondary
Have you opened Command Prompt as an Administrator, typed in sfc /scannow, and pressed enter?

How about your drivers? Is everything up to date? The GPU, any NICs?

Personally, if nothing else works, I would try leaving one stick of RAM in at a time to test if it happens. If it happens on a specific stick of RAM, leave that one out and replace it.

Reactions: edwin_132

edwin_132

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Just ran sfc /scannow and it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. GPU driver is Game Ready Driver 528.24. All other drivers are the newest ones on MSI site.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Just ran sfc /scannow and it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. GPU driver is Game Ready Driver 528.24. All other drivers are the newest ones on MSI site.
Is it still crashing after it repaired the system files? If it is and your drivers are updated, it’s likely a hardware issue. I’d wait to see if it continues to crash before proceeding to mess with the hardware.

edit:
I looked at each bugcheck memory dump
overall, I would remove the nvidia shadow play software first then
look down the list below for more potential hints to apply fixes.
----------------
just as a guess, I would uninstall your irirun webcam software.
you could install microsoft autoruns64 and just disable these two drivers and see if you still get memory corruptions.
Autoruns for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn
iriuna0.sys Thu Oct 22 08:22:10 2020
iriunvid.sys Thu Aug 11 11:26:38 2022
System Uptime: 0 days 13:05:14.398

I only looked at two dumps but the problem looks like what you would expect with a bad driver.

try removing the software or disabling the two drivers and reboot.
you might have to uninstall a chrome extension.

looks like the problem takes many hours to hit. you might try to cause the problem faster by putting the machine thru quick sleep/wake cycles.

if you still get bugchecks with the drivers removed. I can try and look at the other memory dumps or tell you how to isolate the problem.

-----------------
second bugcheck was fast (58seconds) and the calling process was
lghub_system_t
Logitech G HUB

access violation and stack corruption.
drivers look current (sept 2 2022)
make sure the calling software was updated and maybe look for firmware updates for the logitech devices.
------------
third bugcheck was a system process making a call but getting a access violation. address looks like a valid kernel address but was invalid.

--------
4th bugcheck was due to cpu 4 hanging.
the timeout was very short which means it is most likely one core waiting on another core . can not debug with a minidump. a kernel dump would be required to figure out the problem. Sometimes happens when one core attempts to install some driver while another core attempts to use the driver but the install does not complete. generally, would show up in windows control panel device manager as a failed install (yellow caution symbol)
can also happen with certain programs not working correctly.
both causes would require a kernel dump to debug.
-------------------
5th bugcheck was a bad pool header
some driver screwed up. it requested kernel memory, made changes outside to the assigned area and corrupted the data structure. Later the system attempted to clean up the freed structures and found it was corrupted and called a bugcheck.
most likely just a driver bug but this is the same method that malware can use to infect so a bugcheck was called.
debugging / isolation of this would involve running verifier to get the system to bugcheck at the time of the corruption rather than when the system cleans up the corrupted structure.
-------------
6th bugcheck stack overflow while running chrome.
(I would disable chrome extensions)
buffer has structures before and after where the data should be. if these structures are modified then the buffer overflowed and a bugcheck is called. this can be a method of attack on the system.
system canceled a timer just before the overflow. I do not see the common modified windows files that indicate malware.
---------
7th bugcheck
nvsphelper64.exe running
bogus kernel address used. looks like a bad timer was bing inserted into a timer table.
this is nvidia shadow play. I would disable this unless you actually are using it. It could be the cause of all of these bugchecks.
------------
8th bugcheck
driver issue, I can not tell which driver but I can see it is being called by a user mode service. Might be the shadow play software. Not sure:.
------------
9th bugcheck
steam running, watchdog timeout problem.
this would require a kernel dump to debug but the timeout value
it looks like there is only one DPC and it has been there for
1222 Min 40 Sec 125.00 mSec
it looks like a network timer function.
it could be this driver:
rt640x64.sys Sun Apr 24 23:19:49 2022
but more likely it is the nvidia shadow play software messing up the network timer.
---------------

Last edited:
Reactions: edwin_132

edwin_132

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
edit:
I looked at each bugcheck memory dump
overall, I would remove the nvidia shadow play software first then
look down the list below for more potential hints to apply fixes.
----------------
just as a guess, I would uninstall your irirun webcam software.
you could install microsoft autoruns64 and just disable these two drivers and see if you still get memory corruptions.
Autoruns for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn
iriuna0.sys Thu Oct 22 08:22:10 2020
iriunvid.sys Thu Aug 11 11:26:38 2022
System Uptime: 0 days 13:05:14.398

I only looked at two dumps but the problem looks like what you would expect with a bad driver.

try removing the software or disabling the two drivers and reboot.
you might have to uninstall a chrome extension.

looks like the problem takes many hours to hit. you might try to cause the problem faster by putting the machine thru quick sleep/wake cycles.

if you still get bugchecks with the drivers removed. I can try and look at the other memory dumps or tell you how to isolate the problem.

-----------------
second bugcheck was fast (58seconds) and the calling process was
lghub_system_t
Logitech G HUB

access violation and stack corruption.
drivers look current (sept 2 2022)
make sure the calling software was updated and maybe look for firmware updates for the logitech devices.
------------
third bugcheck was a system process making a call but getting a access violation. address looks like a valid kernel address but was invalid.

--------
4th bugcheck was due to cpu 4 hanging.
the timeout was very short which means it is most likely one core waiting on another core . can not debug with a minidump. a kernel dump would be required to figure out the problem. Sometimes happens when one core attempts to install some driver while another core attempts to use the driver but the install does not complete. generally, would show up in windows control panel device manager as a failed install (yellow caution symbol)
can also happen with certain programs not working correctly.
both causes would require a kernel dump to debug.
-------------------
5th bugcheck was a bad pool header
some driver screwed up. it requested kernel memory, made changes outside to the assigned area and corrupted the data structure. Later the system attempted to clean up the freed structures and found it was corrupted and called a bugcheck.
most likely just a driver bug but this is the same method that malware can use to infect so a bugcheck was called.
debugging / isolation of this would involve running verifier to get the system to bugcheck at the time of the corruption rather than when the system cleans up the corrupted structure.
-------------
6th bugcheck stack overflow while running chrome.
(I would disable chrome extensions)
buffer has structures before and after where the data should be. if these structures are modified then the buffer overflowed and a bugcheck is called. this can be a method of attack on the system.
system canceled a timer just before the overflow. I do not see the common modified windows files that indicate malware.
---------
7th bugcheck
nvsphelper64.exe running
bogus kernel address used. looks like a bad timer was bing inserted into a timer table.
this is nvidia shadow play. I would disable this unless you actually are using it. It could be the cause of all of these bugchecks.
------------
8th bugcheck
driver issue, I can not tell which driver but I can see it is being called by a user mode service. Might be the shadow play software. Not sure:.
------------
9th bugcheck
steam running, watchdog timeout problem.
this would require a kernel dump to debug but the timeout value
it looks like there is only one DPC and it has been there for
1222 Min 40 Sec 125.00 mSec
it looks like a network timer function.
it could be this driver:
rt640x64.sys Sun Apr 24 23:19:49 2022
but more likely it is the nvidia shadow play software messing up the network timer.
---------------
I did what you suggested and It hasn't blue screened, chrome still crashes but nowhere as often. I think my extensions had alot to do with it. Thanks for the help.