Question random BSOD's after ram upgrade

Takku0223

Commendable
Oct 17, 2019
Hello people of the internet,

So I've recently bought 2x8GB DDR-4 Mushkin silverlines to add to my 2x4GB DDR-4 Kingston Hyperx fury's,
They'r pretty much identical in spec's (both 2133MHZ DDR4 on 1.2V) however their timings are diffrent (15-15-15-36 mushkins VS 14-14-14-35 Fury's).
I've had them working together with XMP and the system detected a total of 24GB of ram however it was unstable and had bluescreens pretty often so I figured just replacing the ram would be a better option.

But with just the 2x8GB mushkins my system remains unstable (Getting BSOD with what seems random causes), I've ran AIDA64 stress tests for a while (10 minutes and 3 hours) and nothing happened the system remained stable, I even got to play over 8 hours of heavily modded minecraft without any problems (doesn't sound like much but you'll be suprised how hard heavily modded minecraft is on your system lol) after that I've shutdown my pc and went to bed.

The next morning is where the trouble starts sometimes when opening programs like Chrome or FileExplorer the system suddenly crashes and gives me a BSOD with chrome I can literally tell when the system is failing cause plugins will crash and chrome wont be able to reach sites anymore and just closes and short after that BSOD, while with FileExplorer its just abrupt BSOD. Sometimes it even happens while the system is running idle or mid game.

So im out of idea's, I've stressed them, I've updated my bios, both ram sticks are fine and work normally if I only put just one in on single channel.

My system:
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i5 6400 Skylake
MSI B150M BAZOOKA
Nvidea GTX 1050 2GB
250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
3TB Seagate HDD

Lutfij

Titan
I'm an advocate of upgrading ram in kits(matched sets) as opposed to mixing and matching kits to get a cumulative number. In fact you should look at ram upgrades as you would with buying pairs of shoes. If you lost one out of the pair, would you be able to buy one out of that pair brand new at the store? No.

You should revert to the older kit or better yet stick with only the 2x8GB kit. With that, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Takku0223

Commendable
Oct 17, 2019
I'm an advocate of upgrading ram in kits(matched sets) as opposed to mixing and matching kits to get a cumulative number. In fact you should look at ram upgrades as you would with buying pairs of shoes. If you lost one out of the pair, would you be able to buy one out of that pair brand new at the store? No.

You should revert to the older kit or better yet stick with only the 2x8GB kit. With that, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

I agree that its better to buy identical memory however, not to sound like a smartass but if you've read the post instead of glancing over it you would've read that instead of expanding my ram I've tried running them just on their own.

Last edited:

lynx1021

Distinguished
The best way to test the memory is with Memtest 86. Sounds like the Mushkins have a sight problem, just enough to cause issues under certain functions. Need to test overnight with Memtest. If it shows 1 error that is too much. I had some one time that didn't show errors until after 7 hrs.
Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB
Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO " for the CD

Guide to using Memtest86+
https://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-RAM-with-MemTest86

Takku0223

Commendable
Oct 17, 2019
I've ran memtest via USB, no errors found.

Though on a bright moment I figured I should clear the CMOS so I took the battery out for a while, I've also disabled windows's fast boot and rebooted my system a couple of times after that my system has been running stable.

The only thing i can think of is since I've bought my motherboard, cpu and ram as a upgrade kit it was tuned on the settings of the kit and somehow conflicted with the new memory. I'll keep you guys updated if the issues continue or if its fully fixed now.

--------------UPDATE-------------
My system just now BSOD, System thread exception not handled and after reboot a critical process died BSOD, It happened while playing Battlefield 4. either its a fluke or clearing cmos didn't help.

Last edited: