Question Random BSODs (volmgr 161 followed by kernel 41 error id)

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Hi everyone, for the last week I have been having increasingly more frequent BSODs. At first it was like once a week or so, I thought it was random, so brushed it off. Then it started to be more frequent like once a day or so. I noticed it happened during gaming so I thought maybe it has to do with that. But later it started happening completely randomly even when pc is idle etc. And today it happened 4-5 times, the most recent one happening twice in the same minute.

Before it became this worse, I was able to get the error ids from Windows event viewer. It looks like what triggers it is a volmgr 161 error followed by a kernel-power 41 error. I did some research on my own, this appears to be very common and can have dozens of different solutions based on the cause. I don't think it's a PSU issue, since it's relatively new (8-10months) (I would love to be proven wrong if it's something as simple as a PSU issue)

Things I did:
  • crystal disk info shows my system drive at 94% health with no errors
  • unplugged/replugged my drives
  • increased page file size (it was equal to RAM size)
  • ran a virus scan
  • tried booting at safe mode with network (i don't know what to do if i succeed in booting in safe mode)
  • checked that every single device's driver was up to date
  • repairing with the windows startup repair utility
I will get this BSOD if:
  • I try using the computer normally like playing a game or opening a browser or copying large files
  • if I try to leave it idle, I usually have a bluescreen in about 30mins-2hours (or sometimes 2-5 mins)
  • I leave the pc at windows logon step, without logging in, I will still get the same BSOD.
  • I boot up in safe mode with network (couldn't try without network yet, as pc is refusing to boot at all at this point)
  • after a few restart loops windows decided to boot up in repair mode, it couldn't fix it
I am so lost at this point, the pc is refusing to boot, but it can also randomly decide to boot for a short time. I didn't make any hardware changes in the last 8-10 months, and no software changes in 3-4 months. I've been having this issue for the past week or so. I think the only thing I installed software-wise was a Minecraft shader and its required Iris thingy. Can the awesome people of this forum who have helped me over a decade indulge me with their valuable opinions?

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Quick update, my ram test didn't yield any results because it booted without that ram without any problems, then i stuck it back in, and it booted again with no problems. I've been sitting here for half an hour without bsods.
I did notice something important though, that is, the same error that seems to trigger the bsod (volmgr 161 followed by kernel-power 41), I saw the volmgr 161 error again in the event log, within the same minute I actually booted into the windows, however this time no kernel-power 41 error followed, and I didn't experience the bsod/reset.
I don't understand, I didn't do or change anything, just as I hadn't done/changed anything before the issue started. It's almost like it has a mind of its own. Any more ideas from anyone?