[SOLVED] Random BSODs when gaming, bugcheck code 124

May 19, 2021
Hi! i'm having random bsods while gaming, doesn't matter wich game i play. it can go a few days without any problem but some days i can get 2-3 crashes. i get bugcheck code 124 but i have no knowledgde whatsoever in reading analysing crashdumps.

Specs:
MB: Asus z87a
Cpu: i7 4770K
Gpu: Asus gtx 1070
Ram: 1 hyperX 8gb 1866hz ddr3 and two corsair vengeance 4gb lp 1600hz
Kingston ssd and corsair ssd
Gpu goes around 80-89 degrees at load and cpu around 70-80.
here is the crashdump file

KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1

Key : Analysis.CPU.mSec
Value: 3234

Key : Analysis.DebugAnalysisManager
Value: Create

Key : Analysis.Elapsed.mSec
Value: 3376

Key : Analysis.Init.CPU.mSec
Value: 609

Key : Analysis.Init.Elapsed.mSec
Value: 26598

Key : Analysis.Memory.CommitPeak.Mb
Value: 76

Key : WER.OS.Branch
Value: vb_release

Key : WER.OS.Timestamp
Value: 2019-12-06T14:06:00Z

Key : WER.OS.Version
Value: 10.0.19041.1

BUGCHECK_CODE: 124

BUGCHECK_P1: 0

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffd80a1d2c5028

BUGCHECK_P3: bf800000

BUGCHECK_P4: 124

BLACKBOXBSD: 1 (!blackboxbsd)

BLACKBOXNTFS: 1 (!blackboxntfs)

BLACKBOXPNP: 1 (!blackboxpnp)

BLACKBOXWINLOGON: 1

PROCESS_NAME: EscapeFromTarkov.exe

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel.sys

STACK_COMMAND: .thread ; .cxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_0_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE_IMAGE_GenuineIntel.sys

OS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR: vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {b70a049a-4a17-5749-b5df-df070316ca7d}

Followup: MachineOwner

Solution

what PSU?

error code 124 is a WHEA error
WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
can be caused by heat
can be caused by Overclocking so remove any you have
can be caused by overclocking software so remove Asus AI Suite, MSI Afterburner, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
can be caused by any hardware
Updating BIOS can help but not likely on an old system

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD...

Colif

Win 11 Master

what PSU?

WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
can be caused by heat
can be caused by overclocking software so remove Asus AI Suite, MSI Afterburner, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
the output I get from WHEA errors is often the same but the driver list might help

run this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

how long you been running ram like that?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

no actual tests for GPU, you run benchmarks like Heaven & Furmark and see if it crashes during them.

run this on ssd - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

Corsair - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6075-corsair-ssd-toolbox.html

Solution
May 19, 2021
what PSU?

can be caused by heat

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
the output I get from WHEA errors is often the same but the driver list might help

run this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

how long you been running ram like that?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

no actual tests for GPU, you run benchmarks like Heaven & Furmark and see if it crashes during them.

run this on ssd - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

Corsair - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6075-corsair-ssd-toolbox.html
Here is a link to the latest minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZP4ApOV4TaDWpTsTKpIuDGlC3tLH-vbY/view?usp=sharing

my psu is a corsair cx 600

i tried the diagnostics tool and it didn't show anything. i've so far gone through two of the rams with memtest and no problems so far.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm already logged into a Google account. The download/view permission change that you made fixed it.

I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/bds6wc48/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:051921-7140-01.dmp (May 19 2021 - 16:40:24)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: EscapeFromTarkov.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

How long have you been using the 2 types of RAM? Is this a recent change?

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/Z87-A/HelpDesk_Knowledge/
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 19, 2021
i bought the pc used from a friend. i've had the bluescreens for a while but it feels like they come more often now. i've used the rams like this since i bought it. i've checked the ssds, used furmark, ran diagnostic tool on the cpu and haven't made any progress...

Colif

Win 11 Master
F Secure looks old. might help to update it
Especially this driver stands out to me
Jun 23 2010fsvista.sysF-Secure Vista Support driver
I doubt its cause of whea but maybe

How long the errors happened for?
How long you used ram in comparison to errors starting?
how old is PSU?

Do you have AI Suite installed?
This file below has been known to cause WHEA errors before, it can be part of AI Suite, can be part of Asus GPU Tweak or it can just be installed by windows because you have an Asus motherboard (I had a Z97 Pro before current PC, Windows just installed it on my pc.)
Aug 22 2012AsIO.sysASUS Input Output driver
if you don't have either of the programs installed you can run this to stop it running at startup. If a program later needs it, it will start it - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Tarkov puts a heavy strain on system, it likes to eat memory from what I can tell. So its a good test to find if anything isn't working right. but not ideal to narrow in on cause.

May 19, 2021
I can't find AI suite asus gpu tweak, it doesn't show on autoruns either. The pc was bought used, so i'm not sure how old the cpu is. This guy puts together pcs as a side business and i bought it from him. i've asked him about the problem but he doesn't know how to fix it. I've used the rams like this since i got the pc and i've always had the bluescreens. i get warnings that i need to update f-secure but when i try too it says that it's up to date... should i just get another antivirus? like you said it's doubtable that f-secure is the reason for the bluescreens right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I've used the rams like this since i got the pc and i've always had the bluescreens.
So ram could be cause if you always had bsod since getting pc. and they were in the entire time.

try running with just 1 8gb, your choice if its the 2 sticks or 1

i get warnings that i need to update f-secure but when i try too it says that it's up to date...
perhaps check their website as what is warning you to update? seems odd program knows its out of date but updater says its not.
Try running with windows defender until we figure out cause.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Your PC is overheating, plain and simple. 90C on your GPU and 80C on the CPU is way too high, and I imagine other components in the case are suffering as well.

Open up the PC, clean it all thoroughly with 99% isopropyl alcohol, paying special attention to the fan blades, the fan intakes / dust filters and any vents. You will need to take the CPU cooler off to clean it, and you will need to remove and disassemble the GPU to clean it.

This is not for the faint of heart. If you've never taken apart a PC and / or graphics card before, you should really get a friend to help who knows about PCs.