[SOLVED] Random Certificate Error in Word only

82tbird

Commendable
Jul 12, 2020
Hi, thanks in advance for any help given. I apologie for using this sub-forum but it seems to be the closest to my problem. The less technical the advice,the better.

W 8.1, Office Pro 2016, Chrome.

Since doing a fresh install of both 8.1 and Office, I have issues with some website links, when preparing word docs.

They work in Wordpad and when placed in emails and forums. They also work within the same doc on other devices. Only some links are affected.

Copy and paste a website link to a word doc and it may or may not work. When it doesn't, I first get the window saying Certificate Error and when that is clicked, another saying Cannot locate internet or proxy server.

To me, it seems like maybe a setting somewhere, probably within word itself?

No answers coming from Word or OS forums.

Thanks.

82tbird

Commendable
Jul 12, 2020
Thank you for the reply Colif.
The linked article requires some study by me ,so I wanted to get back to you so you knew I had gotten your response.

I'm a novice and changing registries is intimidating. I did try the "Fix it for me" but it failed.

The weird thing is it is a very limited problem.
I created a word doc with 33 hyperlinks to websites and only 5 get the error, but only in that doc on my PC. Those links work everywhere else.

I'll play and get back to you.

Thanks again.

82tbird

Commendable
Jul 12, 2020
Well I went down the hole for 64 bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet
There is nothing beyond Office, into the red. Nothing It goes Office\ 12-14-16 etc, no 9.

Colif, don't feel obliged to engage further if it's a PIA.

Thanks.