Question Random Computer Freeze & Lag Issue

Reaper's Ghost

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Hello everyone, I have recently run into an issue where my computer is randomly freezing and lagging and I have no idea why; so any advice is apricated.

I currently have 3 Dell S2716DGR monitors and a Hisense TV that is set to duplicate my main screen; though the TV has been turned off when I have noticed the freeze.

The freeze seems to happen at any time regardless of if I am playing games or just browsing the internet.

When it happens all of my monitors will freeze for around 5 seconds and during this freeze I have seen different things happen from all my monitors flashing black for a second like they lost connection; to being in a game and seeing my other open windows resize there resolution before going back to normal. Generally when this happens my mouse will freeze and lag jump across the screen while my computer figures out what it is doing.

I have kept my task manager open when the freeze happens and have never seen anything exceed 70% and generally everything is under 50% when I see the freeze.

I think this is a monitor connection issue of some type but any insight would be helpful.

Below is my computer setup:

CPUIntel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W
Video CardGIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2080GAMING OC-8GC Video Card
MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11AC Wi-Fi
MemoryCorsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit, Black (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)
StorageSamsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
StorageSamsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
StorageSamsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM)
StorageSeagate Desktop Drive 8000 GB 8TB external Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, USB 3.0
Power SupplyCORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply SLI and Crossfire Ready
MonitorDell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Try and source(borrow, not buy) a replacement PSU that's reliably built and see if the issue persists. You can also try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.