Question Random crash BSOD- Anyone knows to read DMP?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
CPU : 3900x
GPU 1080ti
MOBO : MSI x570 Gaming Plus
RAM : 32gb 3600mhz ( now its working at 3333mhz )
Win10 latest update

So sometimes pc randomly crashes for no reason ( it could be idle or in some random game ) but NEVER happened in CSGO

DMP - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYgMpt7BeuwzFzCns0q8buJuwRpN86xR/view?usp=sharing

Fresh new windows installed like 10 days ago
I've purchased Memtest Pro and it was running while i was AFK for like 10 days and not a single error.....
If anyone needs any more info about my issue, i will provide. Thank you guys in advance
We3rvAi.png
9FGEKuH.png
urroENF.png
EUpXXSY.png

Last edited:
Perfect. That eliminates one possible configuration problem anyhow.

The memory kit IS shown to be compatible with that motherboard according to the G.Skill memory configurator, so that is another thing eliminated as well.

Have you run Memtest86 by Passmark software, for FOUR FULL RUNS, to determine there is not simply a bad memory module?

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory and it is a good idea to run it AGAIN, after enabling the XMP profile to verify that none of the XMP specific profile settings or timings are in disagreement with the motherboard, especially if it is a memory kit that is not already shown to be validated for that board on the memory manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer's compatibility list.

I am not familiar with that particular "Memtest" and the fact that it is the first time I've come across it, ever, suggests it is probably not all that common and whether it is reliable, or a worthy drop in replacement for the standard free Memtest86 suite of 11 tests is anybody's guess.

There are a variety of ways that memory can be tested, many different types of tests, but I know for sure that the 11 basic tests included with the free version of Memtest86 is a good baseline for determining memory fitness and stability, along with supplementary runs of a custom Prime95 configuration and/or the extended Windows memory diagnostic test. For those who choose to buy the paid version of Memtest86 that comes with a couple of additional tests not included with the free version, so much the better.

I'd like to say your test is fine, but in truth I don't know that it is as I've never encountered it or any mention of it before, which makes me somewhat suspicious of it.

gardenman

Splendid
Since it runs within Windows, how does it the test the RAM that Windows itself is using? My guess: It doesn't.

But I must confess that I don't know anything else about it. I just quickly tested it.

Even Windows Memory Diagnostic (not recommended either) runs outside of Windows.

I recommend memtest86 over the HCI Design one.

Oh yeah, good catch. That runs within Windows, so it's not even comparable to Memtest86 and some of the types of testing performed within it. I'd definitely recommend running Memtest86, first.

Rest assured, four passes will take several hours, so don't be in any kind of hurry when you do the testing.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/a4mygduo/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:041121-11406-01.dmp (Apr 11 2021 - 11:46:33)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

Comment: This crash appears to be DirectX related.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
dxgkrnl!DxgkPresentMultiPlaneOverlay3+0x4b7
99% of the time I see DirectX crash the cause is GPU drivers
try running DDU in safe mode and install new drivers from Nvidia

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
dxgkrnl!DxgkPresentMultiPlaneOverlay3+0x4b7
99% of the time I see DirectX crash the cause is GPU drivers
try running DDU in safe mode and install new drivers from Nvidia
Done. Uninstalled via DDU and installed latest drivers ( 465.89-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql ) GTX 1080 Ti

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Sry guys, i was afk for a few days. So for now what i have done is :

Removed one stick from my PC
Left 1x16 @ 2800mhz and pc crashed like 10x BUT NO BSOD, just once system is booted and i for example click right click to refresh, PC freezes and i cant do anything so had to manually restart so i've marked that kit that is faulty. Now i have second stick that doesnt have any problems ( its working same @ 2800mhz ) so i will try to play today / tomorrow some games and see if it will crash with this different kit. @Darkbreeze @Colif

Last edited:

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/qzgts25m/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:042821-13796-01.dmp (Apr 28 2021 - 11:00:59)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if he updates the bios he should grab these first - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

there is only 1 non beta bios above the version he is on now. 7C37vAC
note: I only just noticed how the BIOS version numbers work on MSI mb, the 1st 4 digits of the bios number is actually the model number, last 3 digits actual bios version. Its only taken a few years.

MSI make it easy

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Did you ever update the BIOS to the latest version? I can't remember.
As i said in some previous posts, the moment i've purchase this MSI MOBO ( Out of the box ) it was rdy for Ryzen 3900x and ram was working at 3600mhz... BUT the thing is, i cant remember which version that was. Once i saw there's an update, ofc i've tried new vers and ever since then, i cant get my RAM @3600 ( not even 3200 ). Also tried like 10 different BIOS vers and nothing helps.... And now, i have " few earlier versions" and again it crashed on 2 new different sticks. ( 2x8 HyperX @3000 )

So then, I'd do two things. One, update back to the latest non-beta version, and then do a hard reset, so that you know you are back to square one in terms of memory and hardware support at the hardware level.

That will of course require you to reconfigure any custom settings you had in the BIOS prior to doing that.

Another thing I'd recommend is making SURE that the memory you are using IS on the QVL list OR the memory manufacturers list. If you are using multiple memory kits, and none of them are validated as being compatible, then of course you're going to continue to see errors. At least, potentially.

It's no different than people who say "I tried a couple of different power supplies" but all of them were cheap POS type units that were clearly not capable of supporting the hardware based on capacity requirements alone, much less the fact that they are not worthwhile units, but then are cemented to the idea that it's not the PSU because it couldn't possibly be three different power supplies, even though none of them are worth a damn.

I'm not saying the memory you've tried isn't worth a damn, just that if it's another kit, that ALSO isn't a validated compatible kit for that board, then there's every possibility of continued problems that look like the same problem.

And for what it's worth, seems I see a lot of Vengeance LPX and Kingston Hyper X kits that don't work well with Ryzen platforms, plus Hyper X doesn't even offer a compatibility listing like Corsair, G.Skill and Crucial do, so unless it happens to be on the motherboard QVL there's really no way to check against compatibility.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Yeah but mine G.Skill was and is on QVL list for MSI :
jK3qfKK.png

Didnt check this one Patriot Viper that i have now in PC but i will. And before switching RAM's i've reseted BIOS to defaults and just pressed XAMP on MOBO and that's it. They are running now at 2800mhz ( Dunno why not on 3000 tho )
I will take 2-3 days off so i will test everything once im back on PC

Sry for false information. I thought it was HyperX but once i saw Viper i knew it was Patriot..... ANd Patriot is NOT on QVL for MSI X570....

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS