[SOLVED] Random crashes and freezes

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Last week, my psu gave out on me so I bought a new one to replace it. The first time I turned my pc on with the new power supply everything worked fine up until the login screen in which it crashes. At that time I was using windows 10. I figured it was just some corrupted files so I grabbed my Windows 7 recovery disk to see if using a different os would fix the problem. Now I can get to desktop without any issues but after a couple of minutes it will freeze with no blue screen. The only driver I have installed is for ethernet. I cant install any other driver due to the freezing. Starting in safe mode resulted in a freeze as well. I think the power supply failure ruined my hard drive. What do you guys think?

Specs:

GPU- GTX 1060 6GB (no drivers installed)
CPU- AMD FX-8350 with Wraith Cooler
RAM- 16GB DDR3
PSU- ROSEWILL ARC 550W

Last edited:
Solution
So when you get to the desktop, Windows is loading drivers, services, and startup programs. To make sure this isn't a software issue, grab a spare hard drive and do a clean install of Windows with drivers. If everything works fine, you know it's a corrupt file(s) on your original installation - which could have happened from the point you computer was at when it crashed with the old power supply. The problem you have now is since it is crashing so quickly, you are limited in the diagnostic testing you can run.

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
I tried to install google and it froze but this time with a blue screen. “A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval”
Tech Info:
*** STOP: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000019, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88003117180, 0x0000000000000006)

Question 1: does this resemble what happened when you replaced your last power supply? Or are these entirely new symptoms?

2. What is the power like outside the computer (does it go straight to the wall, through a power strip, through a battery backup, etc)?

3. Do you have anything over clocked (CPU or video card)?

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Question 1: does this resemble what happened when you replaced your last power supply? Or are these entirely new symptoms?

2. What is the power like outside the computer (does it go straight to the wall, through a power strip, through a battery backup, etc)?

3. Do you have anything over clocked (CPU or video card)?

1. These are entirely new symptoms, my old power supply just stopped working in the middle of use

2. Power strip

3. Nothing is overclocked

Also worth mentioning that it freezes most often in these scenarios:

• I try to download/launch a program (ex. Google, GeForce Experience)
  • While trying to log in
  • Right after login

Just to rule it out, plug the computer directly into the wall. If that doesn't work, and before too much time goes by, I would take advantage of the most obvious solution and see if you can replace the power supply with another of the same or a different model through the seller.

Classic122

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Just to rule it out, plug the computer directly into the wall. If that doesn't work, and before too much time goes by, I would take advantage of the most obvious solution and see if you can replace the power supply with another of the same or a different model through the seller.

I plugged the pc into the wall and it seemed to start up quicker but it still resulted in a freeze. Is there anything else I could do other then replacing the power supply? I just want to make sure that I have gone through every possible solution to the problem before I start replacing hardware.

So when you get to the desktop, Windows is loading drivers, services, and startup programs. To make sure this isn't a software issue, grab a spare hard drive and do a clean install of Windows with drivers. If everything works fine, you know it's a corrupt file(s) on your original installation - which could have happened from the point you computer was at when it crashed with the old power supply. The problem you have now is since it is crashing so quickly, you are limited in the diagnostic testing you can run.

Last edited:
Solution