Random crashes (BSODs and freezes) after GPU upgrade

Creysys

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Hey,

i have been trying to solve this problem myself for a month now and i am completely desperate on what to do next.

First off my problem:
The PC crashes (random BSODs)/freezes randomly after some time.
Also i have noticed this happens quicker if the system is under load (GTA V/gaming)

BSODs are pretty random 50% of the time its IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL other 50% are random like DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

This is already my second PSU im trying which is why i wouldnt suspect it.

Also i used verifier.exe which crashes my pc instantly after i log in.
It says that the crash was probably caused by "l1c63x64.sys" but since it is a microsoft driver the reason behind the crash would be something else. (I have tried reinstalling the driver without success)

Specs:
Mobo: ASrock H87M
CPU: Intel Xeon 1230v3
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (upgraded from GTX 750 Ti)
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
RAM: G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400 (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB

So yeah this my sad story dreaming of a GTX 970

Id be awesome if you could help me or give me instructions so i can give you more information :)

Solution
OK, now I'm a little more sober ;) I've reread your post and see you're using a slightly odd OS version.
Try contacting the guys on the Microsoft Forums or Microsoft support directly, there may, just may be a compatibility issue between the version of Win 8.1 you're using and a non pro card like the GTX970.
To be sure of an even playing field, reset the BIOS to its defaults, either by using the reset jumper or by removing the battery (leave the battery out for at least 20 minuets, it takes a while for the MB capacitors to discharge) as the manual requires.
While I seldom suggest it, a full reinstall of Windows may cure the problem if it's software related but it's a draconian measure and is my last port of call.
A few of the usual fixes:

Monitor the CPU and chipset temperatures, if you've moved up from a 'slow' graphics card the faster GTX970 will put far more load on the CPU as it now has to work much harder to keep up, maybe causing it to overheat: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

FULLY uninstall ALL the graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller found here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Download it them extract to a new folder.
Download and install Ccleaner: https://www.piriform.com/
Download the latest WHQL drivers for your system and save them out.
Uninstall all the previous drivers and any tuning/tweaking software, deleting any saved profiles/data when requested.
Restart.
Delete all the old driver folders-this may take some searching.
Restart in Safe mode and run DDU there, you may need to do this more than once if you've switched from AMD to Nvidia.
Finally restart normally and run the Ccleaner registry cleaning option, then restart normally.
Install the drivers you saved out earlier, restart, set the screen options, done.

Update the motherboard BIOS, the Maxwell based cards don't always play nice with older parts.

Creysys

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

Temps seem fine i guess at 70 degrees maximum for both gpu and cpu
I used ddu twice already without any improvements

I will try out ccleaner, tweaking software, motherboard bios
I will tell you if it worked as soon as i can :)

Creysys

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

Turns out i already have the latest bio
removed nvidia drivers
ran ccleaner
removed mis afterburner and its profiles
reinstalled nvidia drivers

And the system still crashes if i use verifier.exe (still probably caused by l1c63x64.sys)

I am starting to think about a new mobo maybe the bus cant keep up or the card just draws too much power from the pci slot or whatever
Since i havent seen anyone using this mobo with a higher tier gpu

I could upload the memory dump if you wanted

Also thanks for your help

OK, now I'm a little more sober ;) I've reread your post and see you're using a slightly odd OS version.
Try contacting the guys on the Microsoft Forums or Microsoft support directly, there may, just may be a compatibility issue between the version of Win 8.1 you're using and a non pro card like the GTX970.
To be sure of an even playing field, reset the BIOS to its defaults, either by using the reset jumper or by removing the battery (leave the battery out for at least 20 minuets, it takes a while for the MB capacitors to discharge) as the manual requires.
While I seldom suggest it, a full reinstall of Windows may cure the problem if it's software related but it's a draconian measure and is my last port of call.

Solution

Creysys

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

I reset the BIOS fully but it didnt help which was kind of expected to be honest :(

What im about to do is im gonna wait for the release of win 10 wipe my drives and do a fresh install
If the problem still exists i might have to buy a new motherboard
If the motherboard wasnt faulty im gonna send it back and get a new cpu

For the time being i will mark your post as the solution because those things are gonna take a while and im almost certain that it will fix the problem

Thanks for your help :)