Random crashes in all games

Roon1967

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello everybody,

So I've not changed a thing about my setup, all games used to run with no problems
Crashes happen completely random, and sometimes I would hear the last sound in the game for like 2 seconds repeating in a black background and sometimes not, it just sends me back to the desktop with no errors whatsoever.
The crashes happen in almost every game, and are not related to the time I've been playing at all, sometimes in 5mins and it might take hours

My specs :
CPU : I7 2600k @3.4GHZ
Mobo : Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+
RAM : x2 G.Skill RipjawsX - F3-12800CL9-4GBXL
PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus

Things I have done and notes :
- My temps are pretty okay, CPU @~40-50 and GPU ~60 while gaming
- I blew the dust out of my case, and took the RAMs and the GPU out and re-connected them again
- I have no overclocked parts in my PC at all, and they all worked fine for almost a year
- No BSODs showed up at all
- Complelety formatted my hard and installed a fresh windows 10 copy
- I completley uninstalled my GPU drivers using DDU and installing different versions
- I ran memtest86 for 10 hours (5 passes 0 errors)
- I scanned my drive using HDTune and nothing showed up as bad
- I stress tested my GPU using FurMark for more than an hour and no crashes occoured (max temp was 73c)
- I replaced my GPU with an old (fully working) GTX 550 TI and here's what happened :
Uninstalled the drivers using DDU and installed the newest drivers for the 550, restarted my PC and everything went downhill !
I am experiencing a few monitor flashes while browsing every now and then
However for games I tested the following and the results :
* CS:GO >> had crashes every 15 seconds, it would freeze for 5 seconds with black screen, however while it ran it was super smooth with +200 FPS
* Metro 2033 Redux >> Crashes everytime in the menu (after 30 secs or something) and gives me a windows message saying "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"
* Metro Lastlight Redux >> It crashed after a minute into gameplay to desktop without any kind of error

That's it I believe, hopefully someone will help as I'm setting here helpless :|
Thanks in advance :)

PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus

I have seen this PSU come up with problems more and more often.
I'm not saying it is the problem... not certainly.

But your symptoms are extremely likely to be the PSU. That black screen with sound leading to recovery is usually a "driver crashed, but has now recovered" error. This error is almost always caused by the GPU asking for more amps on the 12v rail than the PSU is capable of providing, the current drops and the GPU crashes. The GPU, having crashed, doesn't need all that power anymore, and recovers with what the PSU is able to provide.

Is there any way you can source another 600W PSU to test your system with?

Roon1967

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Thank you so much for answering !
I believe that's super hard, seeing how my friends are not really into PCs and they're super expensive where I live

However if it's not the PSU, then I believe it's the mobo right ? like nothing else can cause such crashes especially after testing the RAM, the HDD and the GPU?
If so is there's anyway to test for Motherboard failures ? or any other solutions generally speaking aside from trying a new PSU ?

Thanks again :)

Nope. If it was your motherboard it wouldn't POST, it wouldn't BOOT, it wouldn't do any of these things.

A motherboard can cause crashes, but they are very specific situations where VRMs are unable to sustain the OC applied to a CPU - not at all relevant to your situation.

Again, no, motherboards do not cause crashes.

Roon1967

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Thank you again :)

So there's no way at all despite trying another PSU or trying my PSU in another PC right ? If so I will try my best in the next couple of days