[SOLVED] Random Crashes with Blue Screen

Jolanpiep

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Help me, Tom's Hardware pros, you're my only hope!

I've done everything I can. I will outline my problem, and which solutions I've attempted:

MSI Z97 PC Mate
Intel i5 4690k
2x 4gb ddr3 ram
Geforce GTX 1060ti
Samsung SSD
Thermaltake Berlin 630w

Randomly when my computer is on, it will freeze for a moment, before going to blue screen. This has been going on for about half a year, and the symptoms have slightly changed. It currently happens about once a day. This does NOT occur when the GPU is not in the computer. The crash can occur when the computer is under stress, it can also occur when I'm not even using it. It seems to make little or no difference. They are ENTIRELY unpredictable.

No useful information has ever been given. No noteworthy error code, I've also looked at the 'crash reports'/events Windows generated, but it was always an 'unidentifiable' failure, or something similar.

Turning the PC off, switching off the PSU, and pulling the power out seems to reset it. I leave it like that for a few minutes, and then it starts up okay again

A few times in the past, I've had a fatal crash. The normal reset method didn't work. I tried using one stick of ram, or a different slot, but nothing seemed to help. The only solution was running without GPU. So that seemed to be the 'bad guy'. However: I've sent the GPU back to the retailer, where they stress tested it for 24 hours with no issues.

I've also tried to following methods to find/solve the problem:
  • Windows has been reinstalled, perhaps multiple times.
  • I've run CrystalDisk on the SSD, no degradation.
  • I've run the Intel diagnostics on CPU, no issues.
The GPU is now back in, but so are the crashes. Again, they did not experience any problems at the retailer after stress-testing it for 24 hours.

Could it be the PSU? The crashes occur even when I'm not using the PC...
Could it be the Motherboard? Surely the crashes would not be so sporadic

I have no idea what this could be.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you have another PSU to test with? To me it sounds like the GPU isn't getting enough power. Also try using memtest to check that the ram is not failing. You can also try using GPU-Z to view the statistics of your GPU while it crashes. GPU-Z can log to a file so when it restarts you will know what happened.
Help me, Tom's Hardware pros, you're my only hope!

I've done everything I can. I will outline my problem, and which solutions I've attempted:

MSI Z97 PC Mate
Intel i5 4690k
2x 4gb ddr3 ram
Geforce GTX 1060ti
Samsung SSD

Randomly when my computer is on, it will freeze for a moment, before going to blue screen. This has been going on for about half a year, and the symptoms have slightly changed. It currently happens about once a day. This does NOT occur when the GPU is not in the computer. The crash can occur when the computer is under stress, it can also occur when I'm not even using it. It seems to make little or no difference. They are ENTIRELY unpredictable.

No useful information has ever been given. No noteworthy error code, I've also looked at the 'crash reports'/events Windows generated, but it was always an 'unidentifiable' failure, or something similar.

Turning the PC off, switching off the PSU, and pulling the power out seems to reset it. I leave it like that for a few minutes, and then it starts up okay again

A few times in the past, I've had a fatal crash. The normal reset method didn't work. I tried using one stick of ram, or a different slot, but nothing seemed to help. The only solution was running without GPU. So that seemed to be the 'bad guy'. However: I've sent the GPU back to the retailer, where they stress tested it for 24 hours with no issues.

I've also tried to following methods to find/solve the problem:
  • Windows has been reinstalled, perhaps multiple times.
  • I've run CrystalDisk on the SSD, no degradation.
  • I've run the Intel diagnostics on CPU, no issues.
The GPU is now back in, but so are the crashes. Again, they did not experience any problems at the retailer after stress-testing it for 24 hours.

Could it be the PSU? The crashes occur even when I'm not using the PC...
Could it be the Motherboard? Surely the crashes would not be so sporadic

I have no idea what this could be.
What is the make , model and age of the PSU?

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Do you have another PSU to test with? To me it sounds like the GPU isn't getting enough power. Also try using memtest to check that the ram is not failing. You can also try using GPU-Z to view the statistics of your GPU while it crashes. GPU-Z can log to a file so when it restarts you will know what happened.

Solution

Jolanpiep

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014

I do not have another PSU

I havent always had this problem. I've run this setup for a while with no issues.

I vaguely remember running a ram diagnostic, but I will do it again

I will install GPU-Z and keep it open!

I'll update you on any results later!