Random crashes with sound bug and sometimes vertical lines

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
SOLVED: New gpu solved issue!

My PC crashes a lot. Sometimes it can be 2-4 times a day and others nothing at all. The crash it self can happen at any time and lately I've gotten a white screen with a sound bug. Before I had a lot of vertical lines and usually green/black screen with a sound bug as well. Then I would have to hold the power button to shut off the system. The reset button works rarely. When I turn it back on the only problem is that I need to replug my wireless usb adapter each time as well.

I've never really managed to get a crash report but my event log says under critical;
41 Kernel-Power

and somtimes 404 Taskscheduler.

I've tried to doing a clean install of Windows 10 and updating drivers and so on. I've also disabled many sound/audio devices since it I've heard it can cause a bug or something since I somehow have many devices showing.

The reason I ask for help is because im planning on getting a new graphic card because I've read around that it might be the problem. I remember it crashed giving me a warning in windows before but fixed it with drivers I think. Then since I own a good GPU I will gonna put in a lot of money for a new one and if it doesnt solve it then it's hopeless.

Specs:

Windows 10
AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM - 16 GB
Silver power 750watt
NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Duel Band USB Adapter

Quick Updates:

It shouldnt be a overheat problem because I can play high demanding games for tens of hours. The crash is 100% random.

CPU core temps are from 32-47 Celcius idle not doing much
GPU temp is 38-44 Celcius idle not doing much

Also stable on around 75 Celcius with Furmark!

I've checked all the cables and found no problems with the connections!

Also when I watch HBO pause it , turn the screen off and back on it's all green so I have to replug the HDMI (Not sure if this also adds more reason to swap my GPU out).

Checked around in my BIOS and Turbo Mode was enabled overclocking the cpu to 3800 and the DRAM somewhat. I have reset BIOS settings and made sure the Turbo Mode is disabled. Now the PC makes almost 0 sound idle. Could this be the problem giving me the random crashes? I will update to see if there occurs any more crashes. (Still crashes :()

Memtest86 Summary:

Time: 3:24:49
Tests passed: 54/54 / 100%

Don't think there is anything with my memory. Could let it go longer but seems goods.

Waiting for my new Corsair HX750i 750W PSU to see if it helps.

New PSU installed. Still crashes!

Tried to underclock my GPU to check if the problem still persists. (Still does)

Ordered ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming. Been running fine for 4 days without crash now. All seems good.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Looks like I'm having the same problem too only problem is when I'm playing my games it crashes I think it some sort of Graphics problem. Just a few minutes ago I was in NFS: rivals (Cop career) came to a Hot pursuit event started it, few seconds later the game Crashes and a white screen shows up.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
So it might be the GPU who causes problems then? My plan is to get the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti so I just need sources to confirm that my GPU might be the reason for the crashes.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
I've added some edits to the thread so people can see what I've done. If people have any ideas and that maybe my bios turbo mode was an issue please tell! Will see if the bios settings helped on crash within a day or two.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

I have no other GPU's to try. I did a Furmark stress test tho with 76C stable. No problems happening

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I don't it the GPU I think it's either the PSU or the motherboard. He should call up each manufacturer and tell them about the error message, we have PM each other he has the same problem I have.

1) I have seen the same issue on a) my old Sempron laptop and b) another R9 280. It's the same white screen and freeze up. PSU was substituted on the rig with the R9 280; problem still happens. Don't tell me to do that for the laptop. Either way, GPU's old and that causes the issue.

2) Error code tells NOTHING. Kernel power from what?

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Buddy, we don't even know if he is using a laptop or a Tower PC he should've clarified that his PC was a Laptop or not. Like I said before he needs to change the motherboard or change the PSU and here I found this via Startpage.

How to fix Windows 10 error Event ID 41 ‘Kernel-Power’
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128570/fix-windows-error-event-kernel-power.html

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok so before we continue to speculate and link bad tutorials.... Also, try reading his first post again, clearly hes not using a laptop.

Kernel power 41 can be caused by many issues. Calling up every manufacturer of every part of your system is a waste of time. Kernel Power 41 is an error that is caused by the system shutting down abruptly with a loss of power, it's probably NOT the GPU

The most often causes of it? Failing PSU, failing memory.

The first thing that should be done is to run memtest86 to test the system memory.

If it all passes then I would try and get my hands on another PSU to test the system out with. I don't have much confidence in a "Silver Power 750 watt" PSU, its probably junk, and randomly clipping out.

If, somehow, thats not the problem, then I could believe the theory that maybe the GPU is causing it somehow.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah like I actually said but also I wouldn't be surprised if the Power Supply going down and then there's the manufacturer it's not a trusted manufacturer I don't think am I right?

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

I ran memtest86 the other day but will do it again very soon to make sure all is good. I might actually buy a new PSU right now. Will make it so much easier for me to connected cables with those new easy ones so will be a win situation anyways. Will update

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

What was the Verdict on the memory test?

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Memtest86 Summary:

Time: 3:24:49
Tests passed: 54/54 / 100%

Don't think there is anything with my memory. Could let it go longer but seems goods.

Waiting for my new Corsair HX750i 750W PSU to see if it helps.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Very good Choice T-K That CORSAIR PSU Warranty up to 10 years Good choice.

Rogue it was the PSU the whole time that had to be it.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Well that's good I got My PSU too only Problem is that it didn't fit, so I had to destroy the PSU crew holes on my case for it to fit.After that not one Kernel-Power Critical event has been logged.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Well that's not good if it's not the power supply well it has to be the video card, the CPU or the motherboard everything is on the table for this one.

I've been doing some searching about what you just gave us looks like it has to do with the RAM itself or may be you had a bad overclock. I suggest that you turn your system's bios to run on optimal settings check your RAM timings it could be that then get back to us.

I also found some links with people who have a similar problem that you have now

Please help vertical gray lines
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2694587/vertical-gray-lines.html

Gray Screen Explained (5xxx Series) *Updated w/ Solution*
http://www.overclock.net/t/650900/gray-screen-explained-5xxx-series-updated-w-solution