[SOLVED] random CTD or BSOD since blackout ?

Oct 31, 2021
Hello all, there was a power outage the other night, during a storm, and since then, randomly, I get CTD or BSOD (rarer) when using any graphics (gaming/netflix, etc). What I find weird is its crashing in games that I've NEVER had any crashes in, like Witcher 3, but then it doesnt crash if I run the benchmarking sw Heaven Benchmark 4.0 ?
I'm starting to doubt its a GPU that went bad... but how do I find out where the problem is? thanks.

Solution
Thanks for the reply.

As an update, The system has been running stable for more than 24 hrs.

I tested mem -> all ok
I tested ssd -> couple of issues found, but they got repaired.
I never had the Graphics card bomb out on me in Heaven Benchmark 4.0, so, couldn't have been damage to that...
But i was still getting BSODs. started googling every one, and it all pointed at gpu and chipset drivers.

the power outage corrupted my drivers? Weird. Anyway, I removed them (all AMD gpu and chipset drivers) restarted, reinstalled the latest recommended version (I think I was 1 version ahead of the recommended when this happened), restarted, and Voila!
So far so good. seems stable and happy.
list your complete system specs
how do I find out where the problem is?
it's possible that a pre-blackout surge caused some damage to your power supply and/or to other components.
troubleshooting each until the culprit is identified is usually the only way to tell.

it's also possible that these issues occurring and the blackout are only a coincidence and that you may have already had failing component(s).

you can start by running tests on memory & disks.
run a few rounds of MEMTEST to see if RAM turns up any errors.
and run CHKDSK on drives.

Oct 31, 2021
Thanks for the reply.

As an update, The system has been running stable for more than 24 hrs.

I tested mem -> all ok
I tested ssd -> couple of issues found, but they got repaired.
I never had the Graphics card bomb out on me in Heaven Benchmark 4.0, so, couldn't have been damage to that...
But i was still getting BSODs. started googling every one, and it all pointed at gpu and chipset drivers.

the power outage corrupted my drivers? Weird. Anyway, I removed them (all AMD gpu and chipset drivers) restarted, reinstalled the latest recommended version (I think I was 1 version ahead of the recommended when this happened), restarted, and Voila!
So far so good. seems stable and happy.

Solution