Random disconnects with new wireless router

jetr

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
Ok so a few months ago my roommate had to change the house wireless router and ever since I've been plagued by random disconnects. I can easily reconnect by clicking on the wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen and disconnecting and re-connecting to the network but it happens sometimes every 5 minutes or so. It seems to have gotten worse lately. No one else in the house has any problems with their connection.

So, obviously, my question is what is the real problem and how do I fix it?

My current wireless card is the Intel Wireless AC 7260 and the router for the house is an airport express. All of my drivers are up to date.

I'm thinking that maybe because my card is dual band the router is single band that may be the problem but after searching on line a bit it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

FYI: I disconnected once while writing this short post.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Make sure you are only using one connection to the router, meaning don't set up a connection to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

If you haven't done that, have you tried both frequencies to see if one is more stable than the other?

You CAN set the wireless card to only use one frequency... it's in the advanced properties tab for the adapter.

jetr

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
I'm afraid that my knowledge on the more technical aspects of computers is fairly limited. I haven't changed anything on the wireless card since I took the computer out of the box. I'll check which frequency the card is using and try the other one. Thanks for the tip.