random disk read errors

mikecc2007

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
so i built a new desktop for my wife, everything worked fine from the start. within a couple weeks the computer kept freezing during use for about 30 seconds or so and then would unfreeze and act like nothing happened. one time i restarted it during the freeze and got a read disk error before it even booted into windows.

this started a slew of seemingly random read disk errors, so i replaced it with another HDD of the same make model and age (both are about two years old and used in a previous computer with no problems). this seemed to fix it for another week or so and then sure enough it started freezing and giving read disk errors upon restart. I updated all the drivers in windows for the motherboard and hard drive. problem only seemed to continue to worsen until it wouldn't boot to windows at all, only read disk error.

after that i switched the sata port on the motherboard and switched the psu cord that was powering the HDD to another totally different cord coming out of the psu. and it booted up like nothing was wrong... no idea what is going on here but i have a feeling after another week or so it will start to give me read disk errors again.

i ran a SMART utility and it passes. i highly doubt its a physical problem with the hard drive.. also when the first HDD was installed i switched the PSU connector along the same cord and it seemed to fix the read disk error for a day or two.

bottom line here is when i make a physical change to the power supply cord powering the HDD or the SATA port powering it it seems to take away the read disk error but it comes back eventually.. i've tried switiching from IDE to ACHI in bios and vice versa.. everything in this computer is brand new except the hard drive. the mother board is an asus P8H77-VLE and the CPU is an intel i5-3570k and the temps for the motherboard are great, its closed looped liquid cooled and the temps for the GPU are also fine. i don't see any signs of overheating to any part of the computer.