Question Random, extremely loud white noise due to peaking volume over SPDIF on motherboard, even though volume is set to low?

Feb 12, 2021
So this is a complicated problem to describe...

I am having an odd issue with the audio. I have a pair of Sennheiser RS 185's, and they (their wireless transmitter/charging stand) connect directly to the SPDIF connector on the motherboard (a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D). They work perfectly fine for some indeterminate amount of time (minimum of a few minutes, though there was one stretch where it lasted several hours yesterday with no issues), but seemingly randomly, they.. well, explode in volume? To elaborate the best I can, it seems, based on some minor tinkering, that no matter what volume I have the PC set to, they explode in volume, to such an extreme degree, that all sound coming from them only sounds like white noise. Very, very loud, deafening white noise, which obviously particularly sucks when having these headphones on when it happens out of nowhere.

The source of the audio doesn't seem to matter -- YouTube, Spotify, and a Discord call have all triggered the weird behavior. Once it happens, all audio, no matter what it is, comes through as alarmingly loud white noise. I determined it was a volume problem because, while testing it, I turned Spotify down to as near to 1% as I could, and I turned the PC volume down to as low as it could go as well, and the music comes through almost normally (albeit, with ambient static) and the volume at that point is louder than what it sounds like if I maxed both volumes individually when the problem isn't occurring, even though all volume sliders are almost set to 0.This problem does not occur if I set the audio to come out of one of my monitor's speakers (over HDMI), or at least, it hasn't happened yet, but I don't tend to use audio that way much. I'll have to use it a bit and try to verify that when I can. When I switch the audio output to the monitor, it plays normally - if I switch it back to the headphones while the problem is occurring, it is immediately static again. By soft-reloading it, by going to the playback devices properties, then going to the Advanced tab and changing its "Default Format" to anything else, for example, to 2 Channel, 24 Bit, 192000Hz, the problem is temporarily solved. It will occur again, however, in some indeterminate amount of time. Toggling this setting fixes it again, but having such a loud sound explode in my ears at random is obviously not ideal.

I would normally look into the headphones, but they worked just fine; this issue never happened before, on two other computers, one with its own SPDIF port on the motherboard, the other using an external DAC; however, I cannot test the DAC on this PC -- my last computer was having rampant crashing issues, which is the whole reason I had to purchase this new PC, and it is still a mystery what was causing it, and the external DAC may still be the culprit, so I'd like to to keep it away from this new PC if possible.

As for what I've attempted to fix it with already -- I went to Asus' website for my motherboard and grabbed the latest audio drivers, I downloaded the AppCenter software (for the motherboard) and attempted to update drivers using it, and I also verified I have the latest nVidia drivers installed, in case the included audio drivers had something to do with it. As far as I know, I am on the latest Windows update.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! If there's any information I can grab for you, I'll do it.

As for the specs of my PC, the hardware is below:

Platform - Intel Core Z590 ATX
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z590 VISION D
CPU - Intel Core i9 11900K 3.5GHz Eight Core 16MB 125W
Ram - 2x Crucial DDR4-3200 32GB
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB Founders Edition
Sound Card - Onboard Sound
Networking - Integrated WiFi+Bluetooth
Storage:
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB Gen4 M.2 SSD
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD
Seagate Ironwolf 10TB SATA3
Case - Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply - Super Flower LEADEX Platinum 850W
CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12AP
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I just bought the PC from Puget Systems, and it only just arrived yesterday. Here is an image of the inside of the PC:

View: https://i.imgur.com/HrMX7g1.jpeg

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

This sounds like the same problem experienced by me and other users of Asus Z590 motherboards with the Realtek ALC4080 chip. Realtek released a patch for the audio chip that was posted on Asus's site but I don't see any mention of it on Gigabyte's site. It would probably be best for you to contact Gigabyte customer support and ask them if they are supposed to have a Realtek 4080 patch just like ASUS does. Unfortunately I don't think you could contact Realtek directly to ask them if this patch is supposed to be applied to your motherboard's audio chip.

Feb 12, 2021
This sounds like the same problem experienced by me and other users of Asus Z590 motherboards with the Realtek ALC4080 chip. Realtek released a patch for the audio chip that was posted on Asus's site but I don't see any mention of it on Gigabyte's site. It would probably be best for you to contact Gigabyte customer support and ask them if they are supposed to have a Realtek 4080 patch just like ASUS does. Unfortunately I don't think you could contact Realtek directly to ask them if this patch is supposed to be applied to your motherboard's audio chip.

Thanks for the heads up! Glad to hear I'm not alone in a vacuum on this one. I'll reach out to Gigabyte tomorrow and see if I can get a response.

Yep. I have this problem too even with the latest F6 bios. Incredibly annoying. I think I'm going to have to return this motherboard. Appalling!
Its not a motherboard bios problem, its a Realtek 4080 audio chip problem. Realtek released a patch on May 26th and ASUS posted it immediately.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/USB_Audio_FW_Update_Tool_20210521.zip

If your motherboard manufacturer hasn't posted it yet, that's a problem between you and them; Realtek did their duty in creating and releasing the patch even though it took them around 5 months to diagnose the problem, and ASUS did their duty in promptly releasing it.

Reactions: thesexyfox