[SOLVED] Random Folder Appeared After Bitdefender Anivirus Install and Windows Update!

Mar 9, 2020
So, for my birthday I wanted Bitdefender 2020 for 1 Year just in case I did something stupid. I insisted I put it on my mom's old TOSHIBA laptop which she uses but she bought around 6-8 years ago. I downloaded Bitdefender 2020 Total Security on my mom's laptop. The program wanted to reboot so I did and next thing you know, My mom's computer was stuck on the boot menu (the one with the picture where you have to slide up to unlock) and it couldn't do anything. It was stuck, the arrow keys didn't work and even the space bar. Nothing could unlock it. My mom then held the power button the PC turned off and then she pressed it again and the windows logo came up, turns out there was an update. The update is finished and then I notice that some random folder by the name of t36gbu11x has appeared randomly. I ask if it was there and she said no she hasn't seen it before. She done randomly opened it for a reason and 3 black windows came up and by the name of System32 and then shortly they closed. I took a closer look at it and it had about 7-10 files in there. Two of them were named somewhat weirdly but nor just digits and letter. There was one file there by the name of tinstallwb.exe . I googled it and saw that it was a file that was support to be on there so that is good. I called my friend who somewhat knows what he is doing and I too him some of the files namely the one listed here. He then told me to check the properties. I did and this is what I found Local Disk Users Ralica Desktop. My friend told me that they shouldn't be there, and instead should be in C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\HWSetup.exe (I didn't include the lines and the two dots when I named the properties of the file). I scanned the folder with Bitdefender and it somehow scanned 50k files in there (maybe it was doing a quick scan) and it came out clean. I then decided to do a full system scan just to not be worried it came with 1 positive but Bitdefender had taken care of it. I then let the computer charge not before turning off the wifi and asking my mom if she had a backup of her photos and important files which she did. I then went to bed somewhat hating myself that I did so many mistakes and I fell asleep reassuring myself that I am going to call a close family friend who happens to be an IT technician. I asked him however he said his wifi was really bad so he couldn't call me today. So here I am looking for answers. What I did notice however was that some files dated back to 2009 and my mom didn't buy the computer back then. Is it possible that the files are really old and just happen to be there or is malware changing their dates? Also, I shouldn't forget that my mom told me that the IT technician installed them and told me that she personally remembers him doing that (he is trusted and he is a family member so it is NOT possible he downloaded the malware on purpose) Well this is all right now if any of you need more information feel free to private message me or leave a comment, ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED! So now final questions.

What is that folder?

IS IT MALWARE?

once again all help is appreciated!

Solution
If bitdefender doesn't show it as a problem, I would expect you okay

files can be created before install, often they are fake dates. WIndows has drivers supposedly dated 1975 installed. Some also have drivers dated in the future.

it could have been windows update messing up as well.

looking up a folder name can be pointless though, so it might not be a broadband driver (LAN driver) at all. the other one is more useful - https://www.winprocesslibrary.com/process/tinstallwb-exe/
BitDefender is pretty good about finding malware...you can run free (personal use) scans with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes if you want 2nd/3rd opinions, but, might just be a case of drivers being scattered everywhere on desktop /download folders for who knows how long

Mar 9, 2020
BitDefender is pretty good about finding malware...you can run free (personal use) scans with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes if you want 2nd/3rd opinions, but, might just be a case of drivers being scattered everywhere on desktop /download folders for who knows how long
Thanks that answers all my questions and calms me down! But what is a broadband driver? and why have there been files before the laptop was bought?

Colif

Win 11 Master

files can be created before install, often they are fake dates. WIndows has drivers supposedly dated 1975 installed. Some also have drivers dated in the future.

looking up a folder name can be pointless though, so it might not be a broadband driver (LAN driver) at all. the other one is more useful - https://www.winprocesslibrary.com/process/tinstallwb-exe/

Solution
I don't understand your question can you please break it down a bit? sorry for the inconvenience Alos whats a broadband driver?

WHat is the laptop's internet connection method?

Many use little external cellular cards the size of a USB flash drive...; the file in question, t36gbu11x , might be a driver for one, in which case the file might be remnant from when the OS was downloaded/installed earlier, especially if it was reinstalled

Mar 9, 2020
WHat is the laptop's internet connection method?

Many use little external cellular cards the size of a USB flash drive...; the file in question, t36gbu11x , might be a driver for one, in which case the file might be remnant from when the OS was downloaded/installed earlier, especially if it was reinstalled
Oh thanks I never knew that could happen! Sadly I don't have that information because it is really late and my mom is asleep and if I try and get it I will wake her up and bad things will follow.

Mar 9, 2020

Thanks for your reply! I also thought the same thing, that if Bitdefender finds it okay It is 100% safe. Also thanks for answering my question and making me calmwer because I wouldn't know what I would do if her laptop got malware.

Mar 9, 2020

I also have one more question. Why when i opened the folder three tabs for windows32 start running and they closed shortly after?

TRENDING THREADS