Question random fps drops on rx 470

Jan 19, 2019
hi recently i got an upgrade from my 750 ti to a rx 470 and instead of me getting better performance my game is working worse,i play fortnite and wid my frames capped at 80 im still getting sudden fps drops/dips to 30,40 idk whats causing this,i reset my pc when i got the rx 470 but still things are like this my specs are
sapphire rx 470 4gb
i5 3570
12gb ram ddr3 1333 mhz
128gb ssd
320gb hdd
im gonna try and run rocket league today to c if it wrks fine and its not my gpu after all,i ran userbenchmark and got this https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23455369

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I noticed a few flags:
1)The cpu isn't turbo boosting properly. Here's what it's supposed to do: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-3570.html (Check Max Turbo Frequency)
Are the cpu's temps ok?
Then again, seeing as this is a Dell proprietary motherboard, those a-hats may have disabled Turbo Boost.

2)The cpu produces the frames, and the gpu determines the graphic settings and resolution you can run those frames at.
If the I5-3570 was already doing it best with the older GTX 750Ti, then the move to the RX 470 didn't really help things.
Running at a lower resolution like 1366 x 768 doesn't benefit as much from a gpu upgrade. A cpu upgrade would've been more beneficial here.

3)Your 12GB memory config. That motherboard most likely does not support Flex Mode, which is a pseudo dual channel mode, of sorts.
Flex Mode is a feature on dual channel motherboards that allows for dual channel operation with 3 and 4 dimm configurations.
You've been running in single channel mode since you added the 3rd stick.

All 3 sticks are different too, but if you managed this long without crashes, BSODs, and restarts, then I guess they all get along fine.
But now you need to take one of them out(leave slots 2 and 4 occupied), or risk adding yet another stick - it may not work, but you've been lucky so far...?

Jan 19, 2019
I noticed a few flags:
1)The cpu isn't turbo boosting properly. Here's what it's supposed to do: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-3570.html (Check Max Turbo Frequency)
Are the cpu's temps ok?
Then again, seeing as this is a Dell proprietary motherboard, those a-hats may have disabled Turbo Boost.

2)The cpu produces the frames, and the gpu determines the graphic settings and resolution you can run those frames at.
If the I5-3570 was already doing it best with the older GTX 750Ti, then the move to the RX 470 didn't really help things.
Running at a lower resolution like 1366 x 768 doesn't benefit as much from a gpu upgrade. A cpu upgrade would've been more beneficial here.

3)Your 12GB memory config. That motherboard most likely does not support Flex Mode, which is a pseudo dual channel mode, of sorts.
Flex Mode is a feature on dual channel motherboards that allows for dual channel operation with 3 and 4 dimm configurations.
You've been running in single channel mode since you added the 3rd stick.

All 3 sticks are different too, but if you managed this long without crashes, BSODs, and restarts, then I guess they all get along fine.
But now you need to take one of them out(leave slots 2 and 4 occupied), or risk adding yet another stick - it may not work, but you've been lucky so far...?
so ur saying that i should remove one ram stick and put the other 2 on 2,4 and it should have a impact onfps?

edit: running dual channel now but the drops are still there

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Scan your PC with Adwcleaner. Let's make sure nothing malicious is using up cpu resources.
Delete and quarantine everything it finds, if any.

2)Run a Windows DISM and system scan:
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type Command Prompt, and right-click or press and hold Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the list of results. Select Run as administrator, and then select Yes.
  • Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"), and then press Enter. (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to complete.)
  • After you see a message that says "The operation completed successfully," type sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/") and press Enter.
  • After you see a message that says, "Verification 100% complete," type exit.
3)Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
-Download the latest driver package for the RX 470 from AMD - do not install it yet.
-Unplug/disconnect your ethernet - to stop Windows from installing a default driver.
-Run DDU(requires safe mode), select the graphics driver to be uninstalled, and then select Clean and Restart
-After the restart, install the graphics driver, and then you can reconnect the ethernet.
-Should be good to go. Test your PC's performance again.

4)Download and run Cpu-Z: https://www.cpuid.com/
Click on the Memory tab. Make sure it says you're running in dual channel.

5)If after all of that, and still no change, I'd suggest you reinstall Windows - back up your important files.
You'll have to reinstall your motherboard's drivers(Dell website) and gpu drivers, since doing so wipes everything on the C drive.