[SOLVED] Random freezes on B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 2600

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone. I just built a new rig 2 weeks ago. First I installed Win7 and I got random BSDs on pci.sys every 2-3 days.
So I installed Win10 and the same issue persisted but now it hard freezes completely instead of BSODing, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.
It only happens on light use (ie web browsing). While gaming it's stable. I tried disabling Global C-States in BIOS but the issue persisted.
I've never had an issue like this. I heard freezing with Ryzen was a power issue on Linux, not Windows.
I also heard the B350M Pro4 had freezing issues, could this also be the case with the B450 Pro4?
Could you help me spot the problem, or how to reproduce it? Here are the parts.

Newly bought:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (no OC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 (BIOS 3.20)
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Sport LT Red 8GB DDR4-3200 (BLS8G4D32AESEK) with XMP profile
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC
Chassis: NZXT H500

From old build (~7 years old working flawlessly):
SSD/HDD: Crucial SSD MX100 128GB + 2 WD Blue + 1 WD Green
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 620W Bronze

HWMonitor report: https://pastebin.com/GH7wrLeY

Thanks.

Solution
Guess what? The 2600 only supports up to 3000mhz. Only with the X variant you can oc your Ram to as much as you like.
Source for this? I've seen plenty of people on the Internet running 3200Mhz on the Ryzen 2600.

Either way not sure why this got marked as solved but... I tried 2400Mhz on the RAM and it still froze. And one time after some minutes it "unfroze" but the ethernet interface was dead, so I assumed it was a motherboard issue. So last month I switched the ASRock motherboard to a MSI B450 Tomahawk and it's been 100% stable ever since, XMP 3200MHz and all. I think the motherboard was faulty.

Lutfij

Titan
First off Windows 7 on a platform made with today's parts is moot. Second, where did you source the OS installer for Windows 10? Third, the latest BIOS version you can get to is v3.50. If you're feeling courageous, you can go to version v3.60. Outside of that have you tried manually inputting the values for the rams in BIOS as opposed to going with X.M.P?

FYI, if that PSU is 7 years old, what did it power for the past 7 years? A PSU will not be the same after 7 years of use under stress.

Reactions: douteiful
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

First off Windows 7 on a platform made with today's parts is moot.

Yes, this is why I went to Windows 10 but the issue persisted in the form of complete freezing. Do you think it's a different problem?

Second, where did you source the OS installer for Windows 10?

From Windows page evaluation. I think I might try formatting and installing Pro. Is 1909 free of problems or should I try another version?

Third, the latest BIOS version you can get to is v3.50. If you're feeling courageous, you can go to version v3.60.

I remember reading on ASRock forums that some people had better experiences with older BIOSes in older Ryzens so I didn't update. But according to ASRock website I can't downgrade? So I can only go forward I guess.

Outside of that have you tried manually inputting the values for the rams in BIOS as opposed to going with X.M.P?

Not yet because the values inputted by XMP seem to be right but I'll try.

FYI, if that PSU is 7 years old, what did it power for the past 7 years? A PSU will not be the same after 7 years of use under stress.

It powered an Athlon II with a GTS450, it probably never consumed more than 300W at most. I had a suspicion that the PSU was so old (made in 2013) that it didn't support the Haswell C6/C7 sleep power states, which Ryzen CPUs apparently need. So I'll try with a friend's modern PSU this weekend and report back.

The problem is that the problem happens very rarely (~2-3 times a week), I wish I had a way to reproduce it quickly. The warranty is only 6 months long.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi everyone. I just built a new rig 2 weeks ago. First I installed Win7 and I got random BSDs on pci.sys every 2-3 days.
So I installed Win10 and the same issue persisted but now it hard freezes completely instead of BSODing, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.
It only happens on light use (ie web browsing). While gaming it's stable. I tried disabling Global C-States in BIOS but the issue persisted.
I've never had an issue like this. I heard freezing with Ryzen was a power issue on Linux, not Windows.
I also heard the B350M Pro4 had freezing issues, could this also be the case with the B450 Pro4?

Newly bought:

Thanks.
Try 3000mhz on your RAM. My friend had a similar issue, where it randomly freezed. His mainboard (b450 aorus) should be able to run 3200mhz. Apparently it didnt work. So he clocked it down to 3000mhz and never had any issues since then

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

Newly bought:

Thanks.
Guess what? The 2600 only supports up to 3000mhz. Only with the X variant you can oc your Ram to as much as you like.

Nov 19, 2019
Source for this? I've seen plenty of people on the Internet running 3200Mhz on the Ryzen 2600.

Either way not sure why this got marked as solved but... I tried 2400Mhz on the RAM and it still froze. And one time after some minutes it "unfroze" but the ethernet interface was dead, so I assumed it was a motherboard issue. So last month I switched the ASRock motherboard to a MSI B450 Tomahawk and it's been 100% stable ever since, XMP 3200MHz and all. I think the motherboard was faulty.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS