[SOLVED] Random freezes / restart

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello!
My name is Sam, about 2 weeks ago I built my new streaming PC. All the parts are brand new excluding the GPU.
System specs:
Corsair RGB 750w PSU 80+ rated
Tomohawk B450 Max Motherboard
Ryzen 7 3700x CPU (Stock settings + Stock cooler)
RC 580 MSI Armor OC edition 8gb (2nd hand)
Corsair RGB Pro 2x8gb DDR4 3200mhz RAM (XMP P1)
250gb Asenno SSD
2TB WD Purple HDD (Game storage)
The case is of MSI model I forget the name. Anwyays it houses 6 case fans (I know) 3 front intakes and 3 rear outtakes.
The issue:
When I built the PC, the only component I was missing was my GPU. Which hadn't arrived yet. A friend of mine let me use their GTX 1650 for 1 night so I could boot up the computer, install windows and begin transferring files etc. PC worked fine with no issues. Everything installed and moved the files I needed no fuss. I uninstall the 1650 and return it to my friend. A few days later, my RX 580 arrives.
I put the 580 in, boot up, and start off the latest AMD driver install which I had ready and waiting on my desktop. After installing safely, and restarting. I eagerly tested out the system with some gaming.
The PC crashed after 10mins of gaming, and my both my monitors, turned a different colour. One white, the other pink. My heart sank and my suspicions were immeditatley drawn to the 2nd hand GPU I bought. The PC rebooted itself after the sudden shutdown / freeze and would make it to the desktop just fine. I tried reinstalling drivers and running more games which would result in the same crashes, sometimes with a different colour on the screen. But the colour would always take up the full screen, audio would still work for perhaps 2 seconds during the freeze. Fearing the GPU was mega faulty, I issued a returns which won't be possible until the end of my current lockdown in the UK. So for now, i'm stuck with it.
After a few days, my friend was kind enough to let me borrow his 1650 again. So I could make sure my brand new components were all working. Then, with the GTX 1650, I saw the same crash. This for me, ruled out the GPU. So I decided to investigate the event viewer. Which showed the "Whea-logger" error often, around the time of the crashes. However, this ISN'T always true. Sometimes we crash without that event. After so much troubleshooting, and researching similair issues I just can't find the cause. Discord friends have tried to help me and have become stumped. Some posts online say it's power delivery, but I can't test that theory.
What I've tried:
Re-installing windows
Memtest through windows
Prime95 test passed
IntelBurn test passed
Furmark test passed
Heaven benchmark passed
Reseated every component
Tested individual ram modules
Disconnected everything non essential (fans etc) still crashes
Changed the PSU cables with spares that came with it (CPU power cable and GPU)
Tried and ruled out the GPU with another GPU
Disabled XMP
Disabled PBO
Disabled all OC's
Switched to Ryzen Powerplan
Set VsoC voltage (saw online, didn't work)
DDU of course
Probably more
Monitored temps etc
All I can add to this now, is the fact that I have NOT been able to replicate this error. At first it happened several times a day. Now, it happens upto 3 times a day. Everything works FINE, the crash is the only absnormality with the system. My CPU did reach high temps, however with the stock cooler that is expected. I never witnessed the CPU temp hit the thermal threshold, however i've also never been able to see the CPU temp when the crash happens. It's completely random, can happen while gaming, or moments after booting into desktop. All crashes are the same, with colours on screen.
Please help :D

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you tried booting into Safe Mood and using DDU to remove all the display drivers then boot back up as normal and re-install the AMD drivers?

It sounds like you went from Nvidia to AMD without doing a proper drivers uninstall of Nvidia before installing AMD, so it could be driver conflicts. You mentioned re-installing windows but wasn't sure if you meant, clean install with wiping every thing on the drive or the "upgrade" version where you keep files, etc. from that are still on the drive.

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016
Have you tried booting into Safe Mood and using DDU to remove all the display drivers then boot back up as normal and re-install the AMD drivers?

It sounds like you went from Nvidia to AMD without doing a proper drivers uninstall of Nvidia before installing AMD, so it could be driver conflicts. You mentioned re-installing windows but wasn't sure if you meant, clean install with wiping every thing on the drive or the "upgrade" version where you keep files, etc. from that are still on the drive.

Firstly, wow thanks for replying and so quickly.

I have not attempted this in safe mode, no. However I did previously use DDU to install the drivers.

If you think it's worth a shot, i'll do it right now. For clarification, when reinstalled windows, I believe it left a windows.old folder. I used the USB tool to create the media and install it from there. I chose to keep files etc.

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016
Yes... I would use DDU to remove all the drivers in Safe Mood, boot into Windows and install the AMD drivers from AMD, not through DDU.

Awesome. My apologies, my communication sucks. I meant that when I previously installed the drivers, I used DDU to clean remove old drivers first. The thing I didn't do was use safe mode. However, I have literally just finished up with that. I have done as you said and used safe mode with DDU to remove drivers and have reinstalled the latest AMD drivers.

Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out a way to replicate the crash. I'll report back as soon as/if another crash happens.

Would there be anything else that could cause this particular type of crash?

tecmo34

Administrator
Temperatures can cause the computer to crash if the CPU or GPU are getting too hot.

Game specific issues can cause the computer to crash. Meaning every benchmark or other games work but when you try and run say COD, it crashes. This points to the game versus the computer. At that point, it is recommended to delete and reinstall the game to see if that helps.

Just to name a few other things beside component failures that should have been seen in your initial testing that didn't point to any issues there.

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016
Temperatures can cause the computer to crash if the CPU or GPU are getting too hot.

Game specific issues can cause the computer to crash. Meaning every benchmark or other games work but when you try and run say COD, it crashes. This points to the game versus the computer. At that point, it is recommended to delete and reinstall the game to see if that helps.

Just to name a few other things beside component failures that should have been seen in your initial testing that didn't point to any issues there.

Yep. So the crash can happen during gaming or just web browsing. I'm almost certain we've had a crash atleast once in each game i've ran. Which is at least 15 from my library. I'll keep an eye on temps just in case but from previous observation under stress we should be good here. I use HWmonitor for temps.

All I can do for now given your advice is wait and see. So i'll do just that and report back. If the issue persists i'll likely be back soon. hehe. Thanks for your help so far!

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016
Update: 22nd Jan

The PC crashed this morning soon after boot up, with the same style of crash. Freeze followed by coloured monitor screens.

This is exactly how my troubleshooting has gone so far. Nothing has worked and the crash is always here. Is there anymore diagnosis steps?
I'm still at a complete loss and defo out of my depth on this one. Any more advice or guidance would be really appreciated!

Name-was-taken

Honorable
Jan 6, 2016

Hey, so the PC crashed again this morning and here is the most common error in event viewer for the crash time. I'm super out my depth to know what these mean and researching the issue hasn't been easy. More like a wild goose chase hehe. Would really appreciate some more assistance on this, i'm happy to replace parts but I can't do that until I figure out the cause of this issue. Firstly I thought it was the GPU, but all the tests so far have ruied that out? I have some of my budget left over but without knowing what I need to fix or replace is really painful.

I'm attaching a link to my GDrive which has the event viewer log file (admin events) and screenshots if you need see.

Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17jyNonedYWxNlZPmNlxk_pMr8cTZAWaL?usp=sharing