[SOLVED] Random Freezes

Mar 27, 2019
I've been working on this for a while now so if I forget to list everything I've tried, forgive me.

For the last two months my computer has randomly frozen, occasionally making a loud buzzing noise, and will only un-freeze with a hard reboot. The timing roughly coincided with a move to a new house.

The build I'm working with is....
CPU: AMD FX 8320E (<2 years)
RAM: 16gb DDR3 HyperX (<2 Years)
MoBo: ASUSTeK M5A97 LE R2.0 (3-5 Years)
Graphics: Radeon R9 270x Sapphire (3-5 Years)
PSU: CoolTek 700W Bronze (3-5 Years)
Hard Drives have been replaced during the diagnostic process with no effect.
Case: Coolermaster H500P

I have done a full Windows reset with no effect. I have taken out, cleaned, dusted and replaced every individual part. Stress tests ran on the CPU and graphics card revealed no fault. The built in memory diagnostic tool found no issue with the RAM. All drivers I could find are up to date. Freezes occur during both heavy and light tasks.

I read the advice to check the event log but have been unable to find advice on what the events mean and how to fix them. Dur the five minute window surrounding my most recent freeze I had 13 events. Information that might be sensitive is redacted but can be provided (i don't actually know what information is sensitive). In order from earliest.

1) Kernel-Power (41) The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

2) Eventlog (1101) Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

3) Kernel-EventTracing (28) Error setting traits on Provider (lots of numbers)

4) Dhcp-Client (1002) The IP address lease redacted for the Network Card with network address redacted has been denied by the DHCP server redacted (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)

5) User Device Registration (360) Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched.
Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Windows Hello for Business post-logon provisioning is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by none policy.

6) Steam Client Service (1) Error: Failed to add firewall exception for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe

7) DCom (10016) The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

8-13 are all the same as 7 with different CLSID, AppID, users and application containers. The previous two crashes had similar/identical events. I have genuinely no idea what's causing this and the issue is so vague that Google has been extremely unhelpful.

Solution
step 1 ID if hardware or software.
boot the system into a linux live drive and test the hardware with completely differing software. if the gremlin follows you to linux the issue MUST be hardware and vice versa,if linux stable as the rock of Gibraltar, the problem lies with windows or the drivers. most bootable linux distribution will have memtest68 ready to go, this is a more exhaustive test and should be run for 5 passes. if after 5 passes no reboots or errors the RAM is Good.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
step 1 ID if hardware or software.
boot the system into a linux live drive and test the hardware with completely differing software. if the gremlin follows you to linux the issue MUST be hardware and vice versa,if linux stable as the rock of Gibraltar, the problem lies with windows or the drivers. most bootable linux distribution will have memtest68 ready to go, this is a more exhaustive test and should be run for 5 passes. if after 5 passes no reboots or errors the RAM is Good.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the tunmb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

Solution