Question Random Freezing Related to Storage

YoFavRussian

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
I recently got around to putting together my new Ryzen PC. However, there is a small issue that gets quite aggravating. When using this PC it has a small issue with Disk2 or C:\ going to 100% disk usage but nothing actually being written/read from the disk. When it does this the entire OS and programs will stop responding until the desktop comes back from it's hung state. Every time this event happens a couple of events are recorded in event viewer. Both of these events seem to have some correlation to the problem that I'm experiencing. Any suggestions are appreciated, I've tried a couple of different things personally. Keep in mind that happened between a change of the system, the drives are the same drives that were in the previous system. As well as the power supply and a couple of other things.

View: https://imgur.com/a/q1AGyVa

YoFavRussian

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
M/B: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
RAM: 16 DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: Seasonic 850W Power Supply

I don't remember the exact model of SSD, but it's only the SSD and it's a 512G model. I'd say it's a little over a quarter full.

Just a little bit of inquiry, the system is seeing it as Raidport0 but it has an identified source of storahci.
A couple of things I've checked so far.
In the BIOS I made sure the SATA configuration was set to AHCI and not RAID.
I've also used the sfc /scannow comand to try and find issues with the disk. A couple issues were found but fixed.
I've checked the SATA cables and tried different cables, but also different ports on the board, it seems to originate from this drive. But I'm not convinced it is the drive because the issue started after installing the drive in the new build.

AMD chipset drivers have also been updated, and downgraded just to try and find a possible solution.
I've also tried upgrading to a newer edition of the BIOS for the board itself, it had no impact on the state of the issue.

The issue is weird to describe, it's almost like the disk is going offline, as examined with event ID 508 it took roughly 29 seconds for it to actually complete the write, but during the hang up it doesn't write/read the disk.

I've experienced similar issues with CD drives slowing down the write/read speed of all disks in a machine before. However, this machine doesn't have any drives for optical media.

YoFavRussian

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Just a reminder, when you install a Ryzen processor it adds a new power plan called something along the lines of Ryzen Balanced power plan. This has a PCI Express Link Power State setting, the "standard" setting is off. But the Ryzen Balanced power plan doesnt have it off and it was causing the disk to disconnect and reconnect.