Random freezing. Tried a lot of solutions

Old_el_paseo

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Hello.

First post here. I bought used computer equipment.
Motherboard : asus crosshair v formula z
Cpu: amd am3 8350
Memory : gskill ripjaws x 1600 ddr3

Old equipment that was working fine in old setup
Video: Nvidia gt740
Power supply : good brand 500w (sorry cant remember the brand but its blue)
Antec900 case with a bunch of fans.
Ssd : cant remember brand but its a 3 year old 80gb

Since i changed my motherboard/cpu/memory. The computer has been doing random freezes. It just randomly without warning completly freezes. Pointer doesnt move, cntr/alt/del has no effect. Have no choice but to reset damn computer.

I formated my ssd and tried an old hdd. Does the same thing. When i formatted it was working ok. Until i went on internet. Then freezing started. As soon as windows loaded it would freeze. It was working in safe mode with networking. But not in normal mode.

We tried an old videocard (nvidia 250gts). It seemed to work fine, it would load windows. Until i went on internet. Same thing started. This time it would load. But freeze on internet. Especially youtube would freeze within 1 minute.

I formatted again. Updated bios. Installed all mobo drivers. And ran 3d mark and other bemchmarking programs. Everything worked fine. Instead or going on internet via the wifi pci express card. I connected a wire directly to modem. Same crap. Random freezing.

The videocard from my computer was installed in my brothers computer and seems to work fine. Power suply seems to be ok too. I would be suprised that both my ssd and old hdd are doing same problem.

We will try to switch more components when i have some time (cpu/memory). But in your opinion does this sound like a faulty mobo ? Or maybe i should try a different videocard (maybe a ati?). Since sympoms improved with different videocard ?

Im lost and irritated here. I upgraded my computer to play better games and now i cant even do anything since my games are on steam.

All i can do now is drink a beer and watch my blue leds in the computer case....

Thanks for your help

Solution
Looks like a ram issue. If you have 2 sticks, use them in turns and see if it does the same.
If you only have one, get memtest on an USB and do a test on it.
If this turns up fine, its 95% MoBo and 5% PSU

Bakhus Mps

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
Looks like a ram issue. If you have 2 sticks, use them in turns and see if it does the same.
If you only have one, get memtest on an USB and do a test on it.
If this turns up fine, its 95% MoBo and 5% PSU

Solution

Old_el_paseo

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

Sorry i forgot to mention that i did try that. I have 4 sticks. I tried with 1, 2 the 2 others, the one othe... same thing. And its in the supported memory from asus. Im not saying its impossible that its the ram. But i did try that. We ram memtest and it passed.