Question Random GPU utilisation and temp spikes at idle ?

Re0x_.

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
Hi fellow members,
I have a problem which I thought to be normal, but doesn't look normal.
My GPU temp and utilisation spikes up randomly at idle.
The GPU spikes are weirdly consistent. they are 5 degree spikes almost every time.

The CPU is also at max clock all the time, but it stays at 37 degrees.

I really don't want to reinstall Windows, my SSD is full to the brim with all kinds of stuff.
If anyone can help me, i will provide as much info as needed

My current specs are:
MBD: ROG Strix B550-f
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: AMD RX 570
SSD: 1TB Samsung M.2 980 PRO
RAM: 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance

Here's Screenshots from HWiNFO64:
(cpu reporting deviation, thought this looks weird too)

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Re0x_.

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
safe mode seems to have disabled the probable malware, task manager shows usages so low i never seen before, gpu drivers are not initialised, not sure how i can test it.
i also cannot start hwinfo in safe mode (driver can't be installed because system is in safe mode)

edit: i have previously also ran the above mentioned tools in safe mode also, no issues/detections aswell. note i had this issue for quite a long time

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2024
Create a temp windows profile. Add monitoring tools on that new profile se how it goes.

Download hitman alert I paid for it well worth it super strong and protection strong.

Test on new fresh profile temp spikes.

Could be virus binded with .exe pretending to ge legit using up %.

Or bad ssd. Or.

Re0x_.

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
Create a temp windows profile. Add monitoring tools on that new profile se how it goes.

Download hitman alert I paid for it well worth it super strong and protection strong.

Test on new fresh profile temp spikes.

Could be virus binded with .exe pretending to ge legit using up %.

Or bad ssd. Or.
i don't think it's the ssd. i just left my pc on and went outside, when i came back i saw this:

the usage imediately went down when i moved the mouse

edit: i will make a new profile and keep you updated

Re0x_.

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
in making a new profile, the cpu fan ramped up and went from 36 degrees to 55. the gpu spikes are exactly the same on the new profile, every minute or so it spikes... if this is a virus it's a damn advanced one

Re0x_.

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
I ran a virus scan using malwarebytes on the new profile, this is how it went:
(all of them are false positives, i'm sure of it, but 3 of them seemed suspicious) 1st one is named $RADGPVQ.exe
2nd one is named $RXPN0NV.exe
3rd one is named $R86W75T.dll

they are all located in C:\$Recycle.Bin, but looking there, i don't find anything. can it be that the virus detects it's being detected, deletes itself, then revives, with seemingly random names?