Question Random lag spikes while gaming, but running perfectly smooth in between, and only on certain games?

Jan 26, 2020
So I've had my PC for probably around 5 years, and all this time, it's worked fine for me, save for a couple minor hiccups that have all but died out. Recently, however, I've been hitting a new issue - the random lag spikes mentioned in the title. I've noticed that it generally tends to happen in games as I go around a corner, through a door, or move too fast, but there are occasions where it just happens for no reason. In the best detail I know how to give, the whole screen locks up for maybe a second or 2, and then returns to the comfortable 45 to 60 fps I usually run at, and this only happens with certain games (i.e. Battlefield 1, Siege, Blade & Sorcery), and not in others (i.e. Dead By Daylight, H3VR). I originally thought it was a connectivity issue, and for the last week or so I've been messing with ethernet cables and routers, but my lack of success and notice of this issue recurring in some offline single player games, I'm not quite sure. I also have an integrated Intel video card along with the NVIDIA one, but I don't think the games are mistaking that as the one to use, as I reach but can't maintain good fps, and I've tried disabling it and forcing games to use the NVIDIA one, to no success as well. I'll list some PC specs below, but I don't really know what you all would need to know to be able to help, so if I miss something let me know :).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
8 GB of RAM

Jan 26, 2020
Very probably not for the same reason but this happens to me on payday 2 and killing floor 2, apparently its because your cpu/card try to load a lot of props or in general a big part of the map at the same time, causing it to have a huge spike, then playing normally to around 50 fps
As said its probably not because of the same reason but wanted to tell it.

Jan 26, 2020
Are you connected to the internet via wifi?
That can cause lag spikes.
A wired connection is much smoother.

Andy
I'm connected via ethernet cable, but I don't believe my connection is the issue. My ping is always stable, even during the lag spikes, and I've already tried replacing wires, messing with my router, etc.