[SOLVED] Random Lag Spikes While Web Browsing on New Computer

Jan 12, 2019
Hello, first time poster, long-time visitor.

I've encountered a rather curious problem with a computer I just built this December. While browsing I will randomly encounter lag spikes on a wired connection of roughly 5 second intervals when attempting to load a new page or site where either the page cannot be interacted with at all or I'll just get the spinning wheel for loading on the tab's icon. It affects all tabs and pages equally and will resolve all at the same time: often without any issue but at times if it happens on Chrome I'll see an error screen with "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" for a brief moment before it immediately refreshes. The problem can occur in both Chrome and Firefox but will only occur when trying to load a new page: I've maintained connections in online games and streaming services for hours on end without issue while the browsers have these strange hiccups.

I have watched both Task Manager and Telerik Fiddler and couldn't see any connection issues popping up when the lag spikes happen, system temperatures remain normal as well.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 Ace
CPU: i7-9700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro 115i Platinum
RAM: 2 x 8 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4 25600
Hard Drive: 2 x 512 GB Samsung 970 EVO
Video Card: GeForce 1080 Ti from MSI
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Modem: NetGear CM600
Router: Asus RT-N66U
ISP: Spectrum
Network Adapter: Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (On-board port)

There are two computers with wired connections plugged into the router at all times with up to 3 Smartphones, 1 Tablet, a Nintendo Switch and a Playstation4 Pro connected to the Wireless signals at any given time. Connection between computers, router and modem are CAT6 Cables. Spectrum's connection package is the fastest one they offer: whatever the name for it is now.

If I missed any information that could narrow down the issue please let me know: thank you!

Solution
I will assume it is only this computer and other are working fine ?

My first suspect when you see strange issues and a killer chipset is their silly gamer drivers. Try to load the drivers from the killer site that have all the killer features removed.

The next step is to see if you are losing the network or the DNS. Leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background cmd window. If you get no loss change the DNS in your machine to use 8.8.8.8. Sometimes the proxy function in the router has issues and/or your isp has problems.

Then again this should affect all your machines.

I will assume it is only this computer and other are working fine ?

My first suspect when you see strange issues and a killer chipset is their silly gamer drivers. Try to load the drivers from the killer site that have all the killer features removed.

The next step is to see if you are losing the network or the DNS. Leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background cmd window. If you get no loss change the DNS in your machine to use 8.8.8.8. Sometimes the proxy function in the router has issues and/or your isp has problems.

Then again this should affect all your machines.

Solution
Jan 12, 2019

I was testing the alternative DNS for a few days and it seemed to be the solution but I still get them on occasion but at a less greater frequency. I'll check the network and motherboard drivers. Thank you!